Connecting a satellite box to a monitor

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I thought the following tip from Kim Komando's Tip of The Day would be of interest to those of you with Satellite and computer in your truck

Connecting a satellite box to a monitor

Q. I would like to use my computer monitor as a television. I want to use it in my RV with a satellite dish. Can this be done? Do I need special equipment?

A. You should be able to connect your RV satellite dish to your monitor. You can also connect it to your computer, if you choose.

You will likely need special equipment. Your computer monitor probably needs a VGA connection. If it is a newer monitor, it probably also accepts DVI inputs.

In comparison, your satellite box probably has component, s-video and coaxial outputs. It may also have an HDMI connection. In rare cases, it may have a DVI output.

If both the monitor and the satellite box have DVI connections, that's your answer. You can connect the box to the monitor with a DVI cable. You’ll need to hook the satellite box to an audio receiver and speakers to get sound.

I’d be surprised if you’re that lucky. So you’ll need to buy something that goes between the satellite box and your monitor.

One solution is to add a TV tuner to your computer. These come in different forms. Some fit inside desktop computers. Others look like thumb drives that plug in to a USB port. You can also purchase external boxes.

Then, you can connect the satellite television box to the TV tuner. It would function as an antenna. But the connections would likely be limited. You’d probably need to use the coaxial connection when connecting the satellite box to the computer. You’d connect the computer to the monitor via VGA or DVI connection.

I like this solution for a couple of reasons. First, you can use the tuner to pick up over-the-air signals in addition to satellite signals. You’d need an antenna, though. Also, you can record television on your computer. Your television would work like a DVR.