Confessions of a Droid user

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
Compendium of Helpful Android (smartphone) Apps

This post began with the title of "Confessions of a Droid User" but after reviewing the comments I realized it could be more beneficial to offer a compendium of apps that we all find useful. Please add to it when you discover apps that you use frequently.

Most of the apps I use are free but in some cases (like CamScanner), paying for the app seemed to be well worth the investment. Dollar ($$) signs will be placed in front of the paid ones.

We use our Droid maps when we get load offers. Since we're still fairly new at the trucking stuff, the map feature saves us time of looking up the city name and then finding the location on the atlas. We still use the Atlas but not as much for making initial load offer decisions.

TruckSmart. We just started using this and it is worth it to us. We were able to quick compare fuel prices between three states and reserve a shower without leaving the truck (except for getting to the shower!). We share a generic email account that goes to both droids so getting a team shower is never an issue. When we're just pulling in and in a hurry, we no longer have to wait for the person fueling to swipe the card so the other can run inside and swipe for a shower. TA was our preferred fuel spot but they just won lots more loyalty with this app.

$$ CamScanner.
We're nuts about this one. This allows us to take instant photos of paperwork that our carrier needs asap. It takes some practice to hold the camera correctly but we've found the $$ to be worth the expense. It has an option for sending it to an email contact.

$$ Zip Code Finder. App suggested by Falligator.

Craigs List. Suggested by Camper.

Pandora Radio. They just added comedy. It's free. It's worked well for me. Wife doesn't listen as much yet but she has the app.

$$ Weatherbug Elite. We have most major metro areas saved and when we do cross country trips we check out the routes we're taking. In most cases we've never really changed our route but when we want to know, it provides some peace of mind for what it's worth.

DoubleTwist. I use this in addition to the preloaded app that came with the Droid. This is because I need variety. In a two hour driving period I might listen to parts of two different audio books and then Pandora Jazz to help me stay more alert. Jazz Fusion and sunflower seeds can keep me alert for hours! lol.

Stupid Zombies. Great way to kill time if you're stuck somewhere waiting around. Don't blame me if you become an addict.

Angry Brids. Suggested by Dakota.

Voice Search. Used to use it frequently but not recently so much.

I have three news apps: BBC, NPR, and MSNBC.

Colornote. We use this for lots of lists and things that we want to accomplish when we get home. We have lists for Walmart and Costco so we always know what to grab when we get there.

Colorflashlight. There are several other flashlight apps available. They can be useful in the sleeper at times or when a regular flashlight is not handy.

We both listen to lots of audio books when we drive and we've been looking into audible.com (an Amazon app I think). We're looking at the one time 24 credit purchase plan. Up to this point, I've purchased audible books through Barnes and Noble and downloaded them to the laptop and then transferred them to the droid. Audible.com will allow us to download them directly to the Droid and it will be a free download if we're hanging out at a free wifi spot (like Starbucks).

Last edited:

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Mine is the zip code finder for when I use the Macro 19 when I'm done with a load. Free

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
Mine is the zip code finder for when I use the Macro 19 when I'm done with a load. Free

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I'm checking that one out.

The CraigsList Browser App one fine app for serial bargain hunters.

I'm all over this one.

Don't forget Angry Birds LOL

Sorry for leaving it off, Dakota. But when I got zombies I stopped the bird slinging! lol

Listen, all. I'm going to just add these and the links to my original post. I'll change the post heading to reflect a list that others might find useful and perhaps we can keep adding helpful apps.

I'll also review what's in the archives and see if I can track those as well. If there are scans available, I'll attempt to paste them too.

Edit: I just finished the Compendium Thread after reviewing two other threads on the apps topic. I will not be updating this post, as it is too difficult to work within the original framework of this post (i.e., the subject line in particular).

Last edited:

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
Dont forget the Kindle app.

or my favorite ...
Have Cable and Highspeed internet available at home?
(or at someone who would hook it up for you?)
try the slingbox and the android app.
The app is $29 but worth it.. you can also watch it for free on any computer with a network connection.
I have the entry level tuner that just plugs into the cable line and to the router.. I get my 99 channels from analog cable, that's enough for me.

James