Computerize Your Operation!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In this day and age, I really believe a laptop computer in your truck is a must have item. You might think you can't afford one, but there are so many cheap second hand ones out there now, and they are all you will need for your operation. I recommend older Toshiba units such as the Tecra 550, as these things were close to $4k when they were new and weren't a consumer level PC, thus are built like bricks to stand up to being dropped in the truck (you will, trust me) You can find them for about $200-300 now. Here is the software I currently use to ease the pain:
Drivers Daily Log- log book program, awesome, been using it for about 4 years now. www.driversdailylog.com
Microsoft Streets and Trips 2003- mapping program, available at Media Play, about $20 after rebate.
PC Miler- the software most dispatchers use to calculate time and mileage. I use this for my own fuel reports. Expensive but easy to find inexpensively.
Microsoft Word- Great to make templates for BOL's for shippers that don't provide them, maintenance reports, packing lists, etc.
With a modem and Sprint PCS, you can go online too. I have found when I have a REALLY hard time finding a place, going online to www.mapquest.com finds the really tough places.
With the computer and your natural animal instincts, the time and money you will save, not to mention the frustration of getting morons on the phone, will make you a believer. Plus if you are smart enough to be reading this, you are smart enough to use all the software I mentioned :D Genious is NOT a requirement.. yet..
-Weave-

Dice

Expert Expediter
I have Gateway laptop with a 15.4" screen mounted on a Jotto Desk www.jottodesk.com using Street Atlas Version 9.0 by Delorme www.delorme.com with an Earthmate GPS sensor you can purchase as a package deal at most office store chains.

I use Drivers Daily Log, which is real simple to use and really helps if you need to make modifcations to keep DOT happy when running that hot freight.

I have a Sierra Wireless 555 PC card to hook up to internet with the Verizon Wireless Express Network that is nationwide and unlimited service for $99 per month. I even use it home too.

I use Winfax Pro to send and recieve faxes while traveling down the road. You will need a printer/scanner to printer or send faxes in truck. I have a Cannon printer/scanner. It would also help to have Microsoft Word or some other word processing software with Winfax Pro.

It also helps to have a CD/DVD drive, so you can watch DVD movies on the laptop.

The Drivers Daily Log is important to have, but I would not leave the driveway without my Street Atlas and GPS sensor running. It always nice to find the quickest route and to know how many miles and how much estimated time to your destination you are at any time. All you need is 2 addresses and you can pick from 4 different types of routes. I use the quickest most of the time, but you also have the shortest, preferred which is settings you can program in and scenic if you want to run with the tourist. Back ups on the interstate are no problem when need to find a way around it. I use Street Atlas and the GPS sensor even if I know where I am going.

When you buy all this, you wonder how did you ever get along without it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Dice,

What kind of coverage do you get with your Sierra Wireless card? Are there any dead spots? How does it work in remote areas?

Dice

Expert Expediter
It is not so much the card as it is the Verizon Express Network is still building up. It seems like Verizon's Express Network and AT&T's T-Mobile are building up networks together. Verizon tells me they project full nationwide coverage with the express network by October 2003. You can still log on to regular cell phone lines with roaming and a per minute charge if you absolutely needed too that is also very slow. But I have not needed to do that in about 6 months.

I have used it from coast to coast and it is most major cities nationwide and alot rural areas also.

Verizon's web site probably has an up to date coverage area map for the "Express Network". I am very happy with Verizon for this and also my cell phone too.

I hoped this information helped.

It is now time for 2 weekends of NASCAR here in Charlotte, NC!

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Have you had any problems with "MapQuest"? I had low clearance problems on a route into NYC two weeks ago.
Any one use ProMiles?
Regards

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Dice,

Yes! It does help. Thank you. We've been looking over the various plans in detail as we get ready to choose. It's nice to get info from a source other than a brochure or salesperson. Ya gotta love the EO Forums.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a question regarding the GPS systems. I haven't bothered investing in it yet as I believe the only thing it can do is tell you where you are if you are lost. I can drive to the nearest intersection and look on the streets program to find out that info. Are there any other practical uses for it that make it worth the while?
-Weave-

Dice

Expert Expediter
What if the nearest intersection had no signs?

The fuel and time savings from not being lost and finding more economical routes will pay for the cost of the unit in no time.

It helps on planning fuel stops and rest stops by knowing at anytime how far you are away from your destination.

It helps finding an alternate route around back ups on the highway.

Plus with the GPS running you don't have to constantly scroll screen to where you are at. I set it to scroll automaticly and north is always the top of the screen.

If you decide to go with Delorme Street Atlas and the Earthmate GPS sensor, you will need to order the seperate power adapter for the GPS sensor to be powered from the laptop. I use the adapter that powers it through a USB port. But you will find you have several options on how to power the GPS unit. It comes with batteries that will last about 9 hours, which is not a good option due to changing batteries so often.

The GPS sensor is definately worth the money.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HI FOLKS! JUST WANTED TO JUMP IN HERE AND ASK DICE WHERE TO PURCHASE THE JOTTO MOUNTING BRKT. THE WEB SITE SEEMS TO BE UNDER CONSTRUCTION AT THIS TIME! RIGHT NOW I'VE GOT MY LAP TOP MOUNTED IN A MAKE DO TYPE SITUATION!, IT WORKS BUT I NEED ALL THE CAB SPACE I CAN GET. AND AS FOR THE GPS, I'VE GOT THE COPILOT TRUCK SET UP AND LATE AT NIGHT WHEN THOSE SIGNS ARE REAL HARD TO SEE IT'LL TELL YA WHEN TO TURN AND HOW FAR IN 10THS OF A MILE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS ADDRESS! I LOVE MINE!. THE OTHER DAY IN PHILY. I GOT UPSET BECAUSE IT HAD ME ON THE WRONG SIDE OF TOWN, BUT AFTER CALLING THE CUSTOMER AND GETTING CORRECT DIRECTIONS I DELIVERED THE LOAD A HALF HOUR LATE!, LATER WHILE DOING MY PAPER WORK I NOTICED THAT DISPATCH HAD GIVEN ME AN ADDRESS THAT WAS 10,000 DIGITS OFF! I ALMOST HAD TO APPOLIGIZE TO MY COMPUTER!. AND AS I SAID ONCE BEFORE KNOWING HOW MANY MILES REMAINING AND KNOWING YOUR ETA ALMOST TO THE MINUTE COMES IN HANDY ESPECIALY WHEN DISPATCH CALLS AN SAYS THAT THEIR SATELLITE IS DOWN AND THEY NEED TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!. NO NEED TO EVEN LOOK AT A MAP JUST PUNCH IN THE ADDRESS, SELECT GO AND START DRIVING! (I STILL SOMETIMES LOOK TO SEE THE ROUTE IT'S SENDING ME ON) IT'S PRETTY COOL! WEAVE I DOWNLOADED THE DDL TRIAL, ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY IT! QUESTION IS DO YOU HAVE TO PRINT COPIES WHILE YOUR ON THE ROAD OR WILL DOT BE SATIFIED WITH LOOKING AT THE PROGRAM TO SEE IF YOUR LEGAL OR NOT? I HAVE A PRINTER IN THE TRUCK BUT HAVE YET LINKED IT TO MY LAP TOP, HOW DO YOU DO YOURS? THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU GUYS CAN GIVE! LATER SHARP327 :)

ddivine

Expert Expediter
Laptop is absolute must have, i have had VERY good luck with IBM thinkpads over 10 yrs, am on my third bigger better bader, u know the drill. Drivers daily log is great, just wish more carriers would accept printed log pages, no more copying to company supplied pages by hand so their scanner can read, pc miler is must have also, look for copy on cheap though very expensive, also use delorme streets 2003 with garmin gps3, can set up trip in delorme and see time to destination, next road change etc, u do still have to watch delorme routing it is for cars and can be very senic, use pc miler for route, delorme for uptodate eta's etc, quicken is really good for tracking expenses, and i to have sprint aircard bought in effingham at petro great coverage east of mississippi, haven't been out west yet. FCC has no frt, if r there get away, if u r bout to start don't. Good Luck

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What I have been doing with DDL over the past three years is this- I print out the logs for each day once a day, after midnight. For the current day, if you are stopped, you can show the inspector the computer itself. They will sometimes make me print the current day up to the point I am stopped. I am fortunate to have ran for companies that accept the DDL printouts, I know quite a few places can't accept them as they use some kind of machine to audit the company log books.
You guys now have me sold on getting GPS! Does the antenna have to mount outside of the truck to work properly like the Qualcomm hamburger case, or can it be put near the windshield?
Thanks!
-Weave-

Freight_Shaker

Expert Expediter
in response to the low clearance thing mapquest or streets and trips wont help ya because they both route me onto parkways and stuff so if their maps are putting me onto parkways with a big truck then i wouldnt trust their bridge clearnce in NYC i use the old fashion way the good ole C.B although i know NYC now like the back of my hand so i know my way around and my in's and out's i wont get lost or my truck made into a convertible anytime soon heheh :)

Dice

Expert Expediter
Revision to my post #1.

Jotto Desk Web Site: www.jottodesk.net

Sorry, I didn't check it when I posted it. They have made a change. You can purchase 1 specific model of the Jotto Desk on the Delorme web site, but that looks like the model for a car and not for a truck.

I bought the tallest bracket they made with the additional RV bracket for my Volvo 770 truck. You will need at least 1 RV brace bracket and expect to spend around $300 for the Jotto desk.

I also noticed Delorme has made major improvements with the new Earthmate GPS sensor and you don't need the power adapter cable I mentioned in another post above. The price has definately come down on the GPS unit and software.

The older Earthmate GPS unit I use works well if you have a fiberglass roof on the truck.

For the Delorme Street Atlas users, here is a web site to get downloadable information on low bridges, Flying J's, Loves, Sam's clubs, Wal Marts and campgrounds: www.discoveryowners.com/cginfo.htm

I quess I need to check these web sites I post more often for updates and changes.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
DICE JUST A COUPLE MORE QUESTIONS WHICH MODEL # DID YOU GO WITH? AND HOW MUCH OF A BEATING DOES THE BRK. ABSORB AND DID YOU GO WITH THE SCREEN BRACE AND/OR OTHER OPTIONS? THANKS ALOT! JUST WANT TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? I ALSO HAVE A VOLVO, MINE IS A STRIAGHT TRUCK WITHOUT AN AIR RIDE CAB SO CUSHION IS SOME WHAT IMPORTANT! IT'S ALSO A 10 SPEED. THANKS AGAIN SHARP3237 :)

mj9287

Expert Expediter
Weave,

I use the newest GPS from Delorme and my antennea is about the size of pocket calculator. It plugs into the back of my PC using the USB port and I just lay the antenna on the dashboard. There are so many GPS sattelites in the sky it doesnt have to pick them all up just 3 for 3d tracking that not only gives you your current destination but also your height above sea level. Helpful in the winter time as you go up mountains with wet roads and varying temps. I understand you use streets and trips, I use delorme software also in conjunction with the antenna. You CAN use the antenna with any GPS supporting software though. I have used both street and Trips and Delorme Street Atlas. Delorme surpasses them all. While you do have to be careful for semi and straight truck routing, since delorme does not take into account height restrictions, for the most part delormes routing is usually 20 percent fewer than dispatched miles. The route is highlited on the screen and it is a matter of keeping the little green arrow on the yellow road. Delorme has also millions of businesses pre determined and marked on the software when zoomed to particular levels and it is a matter of highlighting to find out the telephone number, zipcode, surrounding radio coverage. Say your in Wilmington NC and you need a Walmart, just click on find, type in Walmart and the number of miles you want to search radius, and it will find the closest walmart as well routing from your exact location. My favorite feature id the radar search. I love chinese so I have my program set to search every 15 min for a chinese restaurant within 10 miles of my location but no further than 1 mile off my route. When I get in range my software tells me and gives me routing and speaks all turns to location just like a normal trip. You also said that you go online for those addresses that your program doesnt find, maybe 3 times in the last two years I have used delorme did it not take me to the front door. I don't mean to sound like an advertisement for delorme but I know it will save you money in the long run and also know how important it is to shave expenses on the road.

Mark

PS On the wireless internet access, if you have verizon as your carrier for you cell phone, you have free internet access if you use the quick2net feature. It is slow however, but if you just casually browse the web and check internet email it is enough. It only connects at 14 k where as the express network through verizon connects faster it higher in price that homebased broadband.

My setup:
Toshiba Sattellite 1805 - $700
Delorme software and antenna combo - $100
Verizon CDM 9500 Flip Phone - Free with service contract
Americas Choice 700min and Unlimited Night and Weekend - $55 per mth
Cable for phone - $60
Internet Access - Free
Total - $860 plus $55 per mth for cell phone

Never being lost, always going to the front door of cons with out relying on directions from dispatch, being able to arrive on time every time and keep dispatch on needles because they are sure you are going to be late - priceless

Dice

Expert Expediter
I have the Jotto Desk Model # 5337ACD with 1 brace for Heavy Trucks, but I recommend for those that don't have air ride cabs to use the model # 5336ACD with 2 braces. If your seat height and shifter are in the same place as a Volvo 770s, I would mount the post directly behind the shifter far enough back so it does not interfer with your hand hitting the post. It will easily swevel around to your side between the seats and you find it very adjustable. I also use the arm rest on the passenger seat kicked up where it will support the back of my screen on the laptop. The Jotto Desk is so adjustable, I use it sitting in passenger seat and can even spin it around and use it while seated at the workstation in the back of my Volvo 770.

The Jotto Desk also comes with little foam pads that cushions the laptop when it is strapped down by the 2 spring loaded wire straps. This is very well constructed piece and you will see why it cost so much.

Jotto Desk and Delorme needs to send me a check for this advertisement and endorsement.

Good Luck!

gambler

Expert Expediter
>In this day and age, I really believe a laptop computer in
>your truck is a must have item. You might think you can't
>afford one, but there are so many cheap second hand ones out
>there now, and they are all you will need for your
>operation. I recommend older Toshiba units such as the Tecra
>550, as these things were close to $4k when they were new
>and weren't a consumer level PC, thus are built like bricks
>to stand up to being dropped in the truck (you will, trust
>me) You can find them for about $200-300 now. Here is the
>software I currently use to ease the pain:
>Drivers Daily Log- log book program, awesome, been using it
>for about 4 years now. www.driversdailylog.com
>Microsoft Streets and Trips 2003- mapping program, available
>at Media Play, about $20 after rebate.
>PC Miler- the software most dispatchers use to calculate
>time and mileage. I use this for my own fuel reports.
>Expensive but easy to find inexpensively.
>Microsoft Word- Great to make templates for BOL's for
>shippers that don't provide them, maintenance reports,
>packing lists, etc.
>With a modem and Sprint PCS, you can go online too. I have
>found when I have a REALLY hard time finding a place, going
>online to www.mapquest.com finds the really tough places.
>With the computer and your natural animal instincts, the
>time and money you will save, not to mention the frustration
>of getting morons on the phone, will make you a believer.
>Plus if you are smart enough to be reading this, you are
>smart enough to use all the software I mentioned :D Genious
>is NOT a requirement.. yet..
>-Weave-

weave i gotta ask where you are finding these computers that cheap? do you have any names and #'s of trustworthy spots/people are these computers pretty much gutted or??? cd rom etc etc? operating systems? if you can EMAIL me that would be awesome thanks....ps. my laptop is way to outdated already and of course parts no longer avail...semms to be standard answer after even 2yrs!! lemme know asap if you can thanks