Communications on the Road

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
My wife and I are planning to get into expediting in the near future, and are making plans and gathering information.

We've been wondering what cellular phone company has the best nationwide coverage, payments, and service. Who do you use, and what has been your experience with them? Do you use a separate 800# pager for your dispatchers, or is everything done by cell phone?

Thanks for any info you can give.

Doug

JustPassinThru

Expert Expediter
Hey BigRed,
We've had AT&T and SprintPCS. Both worked well most everywhere. The AT&T OneRate plan gives you free long distance and free roam all over the country for a pretty reasonable price, but we switched to Sprint a year or so ago because we luv the picture phones, and the rates are just as good as AT&T's. We pay $110 per month for 2,000 anytime minutes, with free nationwide long distance and roam, free nights (after 7 p.m.) and weekends. That price includes free web (it just uses your minutes, no extra fees)and free vision services. (You can snap pictures and e-mail them home or to another picture phone for free.) We also get free PCS to PCS phone minutes and you can add another phone and share the 2,000 minutes for no additional charge.

For us, everything is done via our cell phones, they also accept text messages (like a pager) but our carrier doesn't require a pager, so we don't use that feature, except when our grandchildren are playing on the computer:)

Hope this info was useful for you, and we wish you all the best in your new endeavor!

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Big Red,

We also use Sprint and we also have a Verizon telephone. Verizon is our “company” telephone and Sprint is our friends/family telephone. We have a minimal minute plan with verizon: 400 minutes- no roaming charges. We have both because Verizon comes in just about everywhere on the planet. We were on a cruise in the Gulf of Mexico and our Verizon telephone still worked! The cost of our Verizon plan is much higher though, our bill is $55.00 a month just for 400 minutes and no nights etc... this phone is the one that the company we are leased with uses to contact us. It is also our emergency phone that family members can call as we never shut this phone off and carry it at all times.

The Sprint plan works out great for us. Like, JustPassinThru, we have the camera phone with the 2000 minute plan. Our kids and many of our friend who also drive out here have Sprint picture phones too, so, we can talk to them using PCS to PCS and incur no additional charges, nor do we use up our plan minutes. I should add that we have never came close to using our plan minutes up but have had 3000 or higher PCS to PCS minutes. We also use our telephone to access the internet with/on our computer. We have the Sanyo 8100 model phone with the “vision” program. This program allows you to take/send unlimited pictures, web access on your telephone, and the use of it as a modem device with no extra charges incurred. Our service with Sprint also includes free nights after 7:00 pm and weekends. We like the after 7:00 pm feature because often times we are in a time zone 1 to 2 hours behind our relatives and calling them at 10:00 or 11:00 pm was not an option. (many plans offer free nights only after 9:00 pm)

As JustPassinThru stated, the plan is $110.00 per month. We also pay $5.00 additional each month for the roaming plan, which allows us to use the phone with out incurring any roaming costs in areas that Sprint service is not available. BUT we have only been out of out of a Sprint service area a couple of times. We just added the roaming thing to avoid any surprises on our bill and really don’t “roam” often.

We have found that the two phone system works well for us. When we our sleeping we generally turn the Sprint phone off but have the Verizon phone on all the time. This system allows us to still receive calls from our company and family members if they absolutely have to get in touch with us.

We also have a Qualcomm with the company we our leased with. Some expediting companies do not have a Qualcomm and require their drivers to call in with their respective locations and while under load may require you to call every 3 hours with your location. Therefore, if you drive for a company with this requirement, you may want to consider a higher minute plan.

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

LaPurr

Expert Expediter
I used to have ATT, but since they are being bought out by verizon and t-mobile, and soon to be closed entirely we switched. Their customer service really sucks anyways. We now have t-mobile on 2 diferent phones. I have a 5000 min plan for 100 bucks, the wife has a 600 plus nights and weekends for 40 bucks. I have always had service as long as I am on the interstate or in a major city and some back highways. Their sim cards, which all the other phone carriers are now copying, allows me to upgrade to a new phone without having to reprogram all my numbers or even set the phone up to my existing number. Just pop out the sim card, about the size of a digi camera flash card, pop it in the new phone, and I am off and running. I have used it nationally, including canada, and it works 90% of the time. Even thru the mountians of colorado for the most part. The only part in which it doesnt work that really bothers me, you know that really long stretch inbetween Salina KS, and Denver CO, it only works about 25% of the time there.

Brian