Coming back....

Camper

Not a Member
My other option is to run for myself. Pay the money and get my own authority, insurance, etc... Work some local businesses that I know have used expedite companies in the past. Maybe just keep it "regional".

I have some contacts at several area suppliers for a few auto manufacturers. Might be able to pickup some business there.

Might be worth a try. Anyone have any ideas? Pros / Cons?

Given how unsure you seem to be, you might want to consider driving for a fleet owner. Doing so would give you a better feel for the business.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fleet owner... in a cargo van? You must be kidding. Most fleet owners want to split 60/40. Next time your sitting around waiting for a load, figure out how much money a driver, in a cargo van make running for a fleet owner.

When I was running with Panther several years ago, I took 20 random load I had done, and figured everything out as if I had someone driving for me.

Running in a CV for a fleet owner = NO MONEY!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Fleet owner... in a cargo van? You must be kidding. Most fleet owners want to split 60/40. Next time your sitting around waiting for a load, figure out how much money a driver, in a cargo van make running for a fleet owner.

When I was running with Panther several years ago, I took 20 random load I had done, and figured everything out as if I had someone driving for me.

Running in a CV for a fleet owner = NO MONEY!

It doesn't mean no money but it does mean less money. It also means no breakdown costs and no van payment.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the reply Camper. I have a 2001 Chevy 3500 extended cargo van, that's completely paid for, and if possible, I'd like to find a carrier that wil allow me to sign-on with a vehicle of that age. If I can get another year out of it, I should be able to save up enough money to look at buying something new (and bigger).

You can also run independent with that older van. But being out of it for awhile might hurt you too.