Cold weather weight loss.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If this article has been posted before, please ignore it. Otherwise, get out of yer truck and van for 10 min a day in the cold:) And yah, with better results, leave your espar at home, lol:)

Start now so you can have that "body." Goal is, by Springtime, to be able to sit in the van shirtless(thought I saw the shirtless mentioned in another post somewhere. Turtle? lol)and feel good about your accomplishment:)

Shivering can help you stay slim - Telegraph

Last edited:

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I think that I have some bear DNA, when it turns cold I want to fatten up and hibernate till spring.

sent from my Galaxy S3

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If its on the internet it must be true.roflmao.gif

While its true your body burns additional calories to stay warm you have to significantly decrease your body core temp over a long period of time. Were talking days on end. I sometimes experience mild Hypothermia during an extended search and rescue if I get wet and cold.

Normal body temp 98.6 deg F = 37 C - 98 deg F = 36.67 .
97 deg F = 36.11 C you shiver allot you're body starts to shunt blood from extremities this is when things start getting uncomfortable tolerable by most but you can develop Atrial fibrillation potentially life threatening
96 deg F = 35.56 C this point if you haven't already you shiver so violently and you will vomit, and loose bowel and bladder control, Shock has set in, this means you're body is shutting down. Your brain doesn't process info correctly, you make poor decisions at this point. Muscles become weak and stiff and you experience extreme pain. you might stop shivering perhaps even feel warm this is a very, very, bad sign. In fact, we sometimes find hypothermia victims without clothing and suspect a sexual assault that never took place.
95 deg F = 35 C at this point you are clinically Hypothermic you no longer feel warm or shiver your body rappidly shuts down and the result is DEATH.

Long term results from repeated hypothermia include nerve damage, circulation issues, and Chronic Atrial fibrillation. Last thing we need on out DOT physical.
the undesired short term and potential long term effects don't justify the results.

Loo, Just get out and walk around for ten or fifteen minutes a day and the weight will come off.

Bob Wolf

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If its on the internet it must be true.View attachment 8480

While its true your body burns additional calories to stay warm you have to significantly decrease your body core temp over a long period of time. Were talking days on end. I sometimes experience mild Hypothermia during an extended search and rescue if I get wet and cold.

Normal body temp 98.6 deg F = 37 C - 98 deg F = 36.67 .
97 deg F = 36.11 C you shiver allot you're body starts to shunt blood from extremities this is when things start getting uncomfortable tolerable by most but you can develop Atrial fibrillation potentially life threatening
96 deg F = 35.56 C this point if you haven't already you shiver so violently and you will vomit, and loose bowel and bladder control, Shock has set in, this means you're body is shutting down. Your brain doesn't process info correctly, you make poor decisions at this point. Muscles become weak and stiff and you experience extreme pain. you might stop shivering perhaps even feel warm this is a very, very, bad sign. In fact, we sometimes find hypothermia victims without clothing and suspect a sexual assault that never took place.
95 deg F = 35 C at this point you are clinically Hypothermic you no longer feel warm or shiver your body rappidly shuts down and the result is DEATH.

Long term results from repeated hypothermia include nerve damage, circulation issues, and Chronic Atrial fibrillation. Last thing we need on out DOT physical.
the undesired short term and potential long term effects don't justify the results.

Loo, Just get out and walk around for ten or fifteen minutes a day and the weight will come off.

Bob Wolf

Good points Bob:) As long as exposures are limited to 10-15 min a day at temp of 59 F or below it should help. Of course, I wouldn't try this in the the Dakotas sub zero.

True, one degree drops in temp could initiate A-fib and other gamut of medical symptoms. But those symptoms usually occurred in those who are with pre existing medical conditions, weak, dehydrated, intoxicated, injured, and/or prolonged exposure to the cold elements, like the one you have rescued.

This should be a safe activity for normal drivers with stable medical conditions. Firstly, always check with your physician before any start of new activities.

And yes, I'm real,lol :):)

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There was one call I went on where Hypothermia actually saved a kids life with very little brain injury when he fell through a pool liner into 35 deg.F water. However in that case everything happens in just the right order, and timing.

Also trauma centers use hypothermia to deal with major trauma as well as stroke patients. Kinda like suspended animation.

Bob Wolf

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
10 - 15 minutes, for a healthy person that is still within reason.
Bob Wolf.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There was one call I went on where Hypothermia actually saved a kids life with very little brain injury when he fell through a pool liner into 35 deg.F water. However in that case everything happens in just the right order, and timing.

Also trauma centers use hypothermia to deal with major trauma as well as stroke patients. Kinda like suspended animation.

Bob Wolf

So true Bob, younger child statistically have better chance of revival. As we get older, we are going to need the miracle to defy the statistics, lol.