COGS or Expenses

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Should I list fuel and maintenance of my vehicle under Cost Of Goods Sold or just show them as an expense?

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
it also depends on what type of vehicle your using,

If you are using a Cargo/Sprinter van and the standard Mileage rate, these expenses are not allowed. neither is your Liability Insurance, repairs, tires, fuel, parts, additional engine oil, additives
Te Mileage rate normally is better.

for Straight, and TRactor/s the it is cosidered an exnpense, entered in Part V in the blank listings
What cost of good sold means, that you purchased items for resale (like a Retail Store)

Franklin Katz
Frank's Tax & Business Service
7479-4039

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So if I'm driving a cargo van/sprinter van and NOT using the standard mileage rate, can I use COGS and expense repairs, insurance, etc...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can never use COGS in expediting. COGS is the cost of an item that you buy to turn around and resell, hopefully for a profit. It's for retail merchandise. Expediting has expenses, fuel, tires, filters, brake pads, etc. etc. etc. but you need to put COGS in a drawer or cabinet or somewhere and forget it exists until/unless you leave expediting and become a retailer/wholesaler of products of some sort.