Class 'B' or a Class 'D' Truck and Solo Drivers

roadrocket

Expert Expediter
Hi All, this is a great site for information.
I am just a couple of weeks away from my Class 'A' CDL ticket and expiditing looks like it fits me and my goals very well. However, I intend to be a solo driver and the question is; Do Solo's have a limited amount of work for a 'B' or 'D' truck? or what size truck would you recommend that will have the most loads for a solo?

Again this is a great site and I have enjoyed and learned a lot from all of the posts.

Thanks a bunch,
Road Rocket :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
RE: Class 'B' or a Class 'D' Truck and Solo Driver

You will almost assuredly generate more revenue with a D than a van however you will have to deal with logs and more limited maneuverability. Everything in this business is a compromise in some way. It's a matter of what's most important to you and finding the mix that gets you there. Going to truckstops and talking to the drivers is good advice. Most are willing to discuss things with you candidly. Good luck.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter

Road Rocket -

Each company has a different mix of freight and will "feel" differently to single or team drivers. I recommend speaking to a handful of drivers from different companies that you see in your travels. Calling different companies is a great place to start - but talk to the drivers on the street - they will tell you the real story.

Welcome to the world of Expediting - Best of Luck, - Scott

"My Old Ride"

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/images/scott_han_sig_file.jpg

Questions About Express-1?
Call me 1-866-857-4537

-----------------------------------------

ATeam

Retired Expediter

...I intend to be a solo driver and the
>question is; Do Solo's have a limited amount of work for a
>'B' or 'D' truck? or what size truck would you recommend
>that will have the most loads for a solo?

Every expediting carrier can point to successful solo drivers that have been doing well for years in trucks or vans of all sizes. However, the numbers of solo drivers (in all trucks of all sizes) that have entered the industry and failed are legion. Whatever truck size and carrier you settle on, it would be wise to seek out SUCCESSFUL solo drivers that are doing what you are thinking about doing.

Find out from them what it takes to succeed. Learn exactly what they do and be honest with yourself about your willingness and ability to do the same. Successful expediters have a number of business practices in common. Those practices vary a bit between carriers, truck types, and their solo or team status. Determine what the success "groove" is for your carrier and truck size of choice, and then get into that groove.