Class 8

NYDave669

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Can a class 8 ten wheel "D" unit gross out at more than 33,000 lbs? Also, if I bought a 4 year old truck for expediting would I have to sell after 1 year? Thanks

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you would be able to keep it a total of 6 year's after you bought it
if you were to buy it new you would be able to keep it 10 year's
and register for more than 33,000 you would but it would half to have
3 axle's and be set up in proper matter to carry over 33,000,
some companies will pay for weight you are able to carry some won't
also depending how truck is set up to caarrier 13,000 lbs you may
need a tag axle to carry the weight so you will not be over weight if
have a load on.
some d unit are not able to carried required weight as truck is not set up right, there is too much weight on the front axle etc
if has to meet brigde law

paperback1

Expert Expediter
some companys will let you keep your truck on with them even if its older than 6yrs. my company will, i know a guy who has a 1995 and he can keep it on as long as he wants

G

Good question Boxtruck. I would like to know this also. What is the max. weight of a ten wheeled D unit? I would prefer to have a single drive with a lift axle myself, but the weight rating should be the same.

Also, can anyone give advice on what the wheelbase needs to be for a 24' box on a 40' truck? (please specify the front or rear tandem axle)

Thanks guys...you really are a lot of help to us newbies!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Max gross weight on a tandem axle straight truck would depend on the rating of the axles you are using. Common rears are 21000 or 23000, fronts 12000 or 14000. This would make max gross weight between 54000 and 60000 for this setup. Keep in mind anything grossed over 48000 (I think it is) will pay a heavy equipment usage tax every year on the IRP registration. So if you want to gross heavy, make sure you will make use of it. Also remember, you'll have 4 more tires to replace with a twin screw, that is why many prefer using a tag axle so the axle is only used when needed. You then set your gross weight with the added capacity of the tag.
-Weave-

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
REGISTERED GROSS IS BASED ON AXLE WEIGHT RATING AS WEAVE SAID. I HAVE A FREIGHTLINER CLASSIC STRETCHED WITH A 22'BOX TANDEM AXLE. MY TRUCK IS REGISTERED FOR 52,000 LBS. HAS 12K STEER AXLE AND 20K FOR EACH DRIVE. I DON'T PAY HEAVY VEHICLE TAX. I THINK 60K IS WHERE YOU RUN INTO THAT. TO BE HONEST WITH YOU. UNLESS YOUR GOING TO GET MORE FREIGHT WITH THE TANDEM OR MORE MONEY. I WOULD NOT BOTHER. I ADMIT I GOT SOME LOADS WITH IT THAT PAID REALLY WELL. BUT THE FLIP SIDE TO THAT IS: FOUR MORE TIRES TO BUY,ANOTHER AXLE OF BRAKES TO REPLACE,I JUST HAD TO REBUILD MY FRONT DIFFERENTIAL ALSO AND WAS NOT CHEAP. FUEL MILEAGE WILL SUFFER SOME TOO. JUST SOMETHINGS TO THINK ABOUT. I DO THINK HOWEVER, CLASS 8 IS THE WAY TO GO. I BOUGHT MY TRUCK AS A REPO WITH 127K ON IT. GOT 669K ON IT NOW AND IT STILL RUNS STRONG. NO MAJOR ENGINE REPAIRS. CHANGED OIL EVERY 250 HOURS/KEEP VALVES ADJUSTED. OIL SAMPLES COME BACK CLEAN. GETTING READY TO PUT ROD AND MAINS IN JUST FOR INSURANCE POLICY. I THINK WILL RUN MILLION MILES NO PROBLEM. SERIES 60 DETROIT 500HP ROCKWELL 10 SPEED. I HAD TO REPLACE A SYNCRO IN THE REAR SECTION. ONLY TRANS PROBLEM I HAD. OTHER THAN THAT JUST ROUTINE MAINTENANCE ON THE TRUCK. WILL RUN TRIPLE DIGITS. ALTHOUGH I PREFER TO KEEP IT IN THE RIGHT LANE. HOPE SOME OF THIS INFO WAS HELPFUL.}>

G

It is VERY helpful. I enjoy reading these posts and have learned alot about these trucks already.

I would like to question what geo said in the first reply. He states that if you buy a 4 year old truck, you would have 6 years that you could run it. If bought new you would have 10? I've not seen any companies that would allow that. Is this just the company that geo works for or am I missing something?

Also, is a tag axle justifiable on one of these trucks? I had in mind that I would want one. As a newbie, i figured I would need all the easy help I could get keeping loads and that seems to be a pretty easy way to gain an edge. What do you guys think?

ole driver

Expert Expediter
A 3 axle stright truck can scale 14280 on steer axle and 34000 on rear groupe with 36"to 48" spaceing this is standard a spaceing of 9'1"allowes 20000 per axle.
I have my rig reigstered for 46000, H.V.T. starts at 55000
the 14280 is bridge law