Class 8 vs Class 7

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I’ll be in a roundtable discussion with friends moving from TT to first time expediters.
Considering used first truck.
I know class 8. Know very little about M-2s etc.
Do the smaller Mercedes have a 500,000 mile warranty?
How about the Allison’s ?
I may be wrong but I’d guess you could overhaul a series 60 for similar money as replacing the smaller motor.
Or are the smaller Mercedes sleeved ?

My guess is a class 8 with 600,000 miles, is as good as a class 7 with 300,000 miles. Considering similar maintenance has been done.

Any thoughts ?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I like my M2. Got it cheap to test the waters with it and I am at almost 700k miles now. It won't win any races but it gets the freight where it needs to be on time. I've got the Eaton 6 speed manual so don't know anything about the Allison. Gets 12+ mpg. I don't like that it revs up a little higher that I am used to, about 1800 rpms at 60 mph. Also it gets old to be crawling from the cab into the sleeper through the little hole. Once in the sleeper I can stand up, it is getting in there that is annoying. No major issues in my ~150k miles of ownership.

MBE 900 are not sleeved. I believe I read here somewhere that someone paid around 22k to replace one of these engines, iirc.

That being said, my next truck will more than likely be a Cascadia with DD13 engine and DT12 transmission. I will miss the lack of DPF, DEF and EGR on my M2 though.