Class 8 Stretching

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There are many motivational factors as to why people stretch a tractor instead of buying new. The main one? Yeah, COST! A tractor stretched properly, by a shop or person with verified EXPERIENCE, can be as straight and strong, if not straightER and strongER than even a brand new chassis and be built at a fraction of the cost. The thousands of proplerly stretched straight trucks doing duty as expediters on the highway now prove this.

As far as finding someone qualified to properly do a stretch job? It is up to the truck buyer to check out the intended people to do the stretch, and ask for references and if they stand behind their work in writing. This is very important, as I have seen for myself a few jobs from Bubba the "Torch", some not even roadworthy IMHO!
It's not a job I'd trust to Red Green!

-Weave-

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the great read Toes. Any way you can give us some information on the costs and what kind of box sizes you can get, and more importantly if you would have any problems with scale houses or the such in certain states. My interest is certainly peaked. Thanks.

Scott

KeepRollin

Expert Expediter
I talked to a couple of people and learned of 2 different ways a tractor can be streched.
1) Cut the frame in front of the rear axles, weld in a peice of frame rail, bolt in a longer inner frame rail, add an extra carrier bearing if needed then add a short drive shaft between the new and existing bearing. This keeps the same angle for the drive shaft to the rear axles. Then add cross members as needed.
2) Slide the existing axles back on the frame. Drill new holes to mount the suspension. Weld new frame rail to the back of the frame and bolt in a longer inner frame rail. Add carrier bearing and cross members as needed. I was told using this method the truck would be easier to sell in the future.

Thanks for all the infomation.

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Ive been attempting to "research" this type of truck, but I can not find any information at all. Anybody ever see these units for sale anywhere; that is stretched with box mounted?

Scott

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Click on the links to Fyda Freightliner and Freightliner of Knoxville on the EO home page. Both dealers usually have some in stock.

Rex

rhamatut

Seasoned Expediter
My hats off to you and your experience Toes. Lets say I have a Class 8 tractor with a 96" sleeper and want to install a used 22' reefer box [24' if length would be legal] with probably a used lift gate and tandem axles. could you give a very BALLPARK price with this info. I realize all the math, etc. you spoke of, but a labor price on the stretch and rails would be great. Used parts are what they are, though I'd have you install them.

Personally, I find it difficult for this to be cost effective, but then again, life's full of surprises.

Thanks...Tut