class 8 straight truck....

dory

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Is it feasible to run a class 8 powertrain with lengthened

frame tandem rears etc. with a straight truck box.

Eg volvo770, international 9200 etc.

Is the freight available for this arrangement ?

Will the extra weight cause problems....??

This truck would seem to last longer and have a high resale

value.

With the light expedite trucks I have seen you have to

add on everything (sleeper) etc to try and make a vehicle

resembling a class 8, it then wears out quickly, why not go

class 8 from the start????

Big_Little_Truck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It's the only way to go if you want something that will last longer than the payment book. I would think about a drop axle instead of the dual tandems. There is also a question here about FET tax if you go with the dual tandems instead of getting a single axle, and then adding a drop axle 6 months later.

Also you will be able to carry more weight than the average D unit out there, make sure the company you will be signing on with will pay you for hauling that extra weight. I ran into this at Robert's/Fedex, if you tell them your truck can only haul 12,999 lbs they will drop you down to a C truck, but if they want you to haul a 19,000 lb E load they will only pay you D rate. Some of the other companies may have this same policy in place to make more money off the back of their O/O's. (Do you really think they weren't charging that customer an E unit rate)

harbco

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It depends on what company you lease to. I have a Volvo I streched that is leased to Landstar. I think it's the only way to go.With LEA you get the E rates on any load over 13,000 pounds and are also big enough to find some good paying LTL's from the other Landstar companies. Be careful with your front end weight, I'm 11,300 pounds empty with 2 full tanks of fuel.With the comfort,power, and the extra payload, it's the only way to go. In my opinion LEA is the only place to lease a class 8 straight truck, because you can haul loads for any of the Landstar companies. GOOD LUCK

LittleBigTruck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-00 AT 07:07PM (GMT)[/font][p]Personal preference is the key. And MONEY! I have a tag on an FL112. Easy on tolls and tires as opposed to the tandem, you can adjust it to take more weight off your steers, and I got to add on a custom sleeper.

Only Truck: The laws changed and it doesn't matter how long you wait to put on the tag, you're still going to have to pay 12% FET on the value of the cab & chassis at time of installation. If you do a search, this was discussed earlier.

harbco: I agree totally about LEA being the best for this type truck. Additionally, you can often grab a 2nd load and really make some money. I have yet to find a decent LTL though. I don't see how a Volvo can weigh only 11300 lbs though! That would mean you can haul about 35000 lbs? My truck is almost twice that empty!

harbco

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm 11,300 pounds on the front axle, 22,800 pounds total empty weight with 2 tanks of fuel. sorry for not making that clear.

Big_Little_Truck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Went back and re-read your previous
>post. I apologize, I'm the
>one that had a brain
>fart!

I thought I smelled something!!!!!!