Class 8 Expediter Trucks

sickdog40

Seasoned Expediter
On the Volvo subject...I just so happen to own the very first factory built Volvo 780 Condo straight truck 2008 model. It's a "D" unit. I got the factory to build this as a new model only if I agreed to thier spec changes. 1. Tungsten Alloy frame that's 4 inches bigger practically eliminating frame flex. 2. 14,600# Air ride front axle 3. Twin screw rears at 20,000# ea. This is a factory condo with a GVW 54,600# with an empty of 24,000#. 4. Fuel tanks (100 gal ea) are set back with 30% behind the sleeper. Any other stock Volvo tractor is a dealer stretch and will have the 12K front axle. This truck has a 297 inch wheel base. We ordered it loaded, 22ft Delta-Waseca Dry box, APU, liftgate, etc. It doesn't matter what class 8 platform you go with, if it has 2 axles and it's a "D" unit, you're probably over weight on the steer axle or pretty close even empty. Volvo does make a fine truck and the factory sleeper for us anyway has plenty of room. Certainly worth a look-see.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i thought the speedco super truck had a super 10 not an 18 speed but I could be wrong. The letters and numbers is just a model number.

gojack

Expert Expediter
sickdog40

Thats a fine looking truck
I have never heard of a Tungsten Alloy frame
do you have more info on that option? costs?

Dave

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
>On the Volvo subject...I just so happen to own the very
>first factory built Volvo 780 Condo straight truck 2008
>model. It's a "D" unit. I got the factory to build this as
>a new model only if I agreed to thier spec changes. 1.
>Tungsten Alloy frame that's 4 inches bigger practically
>eliminating frame flex. 2. 14,600# Air ride front axle 3.
>Twin screw rears at 20,000# ea. This is a factory condo
>with a GVW 54,600# with an empty of 24,000#. 4. Fuel tanks
>(100 gal ea) are set back with 30% behind the sleeper. Any
>other stock Volvo tractor is a dealer stretch and will have
>the 12K front axle. This truck has a 297 inch wheel base.
>We ordered it loaded, 22ft Delta-Waseca Dry box, APU,
>liftgate, etc. It doesn't matter what class 8 platform you
>go with, if it has 2 axles and it's a "D" unit, you're
>probably over weight on the steer axle or pretty close even
>empty. Volvo does make a fine truck and the factory sleeper
>for us anyway has plenty of room. Certainly worth a
>look-see.

Bruce your graphics are sic!!!
Dude you are the graphic monster..
As far as the Volvo it is heavy on the steers and that is a a negative but the pros far outweigh the cons.
We have driven the super truck with all the goodies but always missed the Volvo while doing it, steers last approx 100k before replacing but the original drives have 260k and are sure to roll another 150k before needing a replacement so I guess there is a trade off.
Anywho anything you put in the box will take weight off the steers when loaded especially with offset fuel tanks.
To the credit of others the 660 is a great project, we saw a monster at Bentz that will make you salivate but in a tractor version so I cannot wait for a straight conversion.
Mike

sickdog40

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Mike . . .nice to hear fom ya. Guess what?? The truck came in Friday. Me and Bobbie were coming home from the dealer and I looked over to the west bound side of I-80 and saw our truck going west. I turned around and gave chase. It sure looks like a goony with those long frame rails. Were headed up this afternoon to drive it, they had to do a PDI first. Monday, it gets the APU installed then off to Minnesota for the box, liftgate and landing gear. Sometime in there, I'll put the graphics on. I feel like that little kid in the Disney commercial where he says "I'm tooo excited to sleep". Here's a picture. The driver told me that even with the 14,600# front axle it rides like a Cadillac. I'll post more pics or go to our web site www.ricochettrucking.com to see more.

Bruce

Tried to upload pics, wouldn't let me

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Bruce I am sooo stoked for you and Bobbie and I am sure the Purdy Volvo will be just that Purdy..
Congrats!!!!
Mike

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
I built a W900B with my local dealer. Even with the shorter hood of the B it is fairly heavy on the front end. The biggest drawback to it is the gigantic turning radius. The T6's, whether original 600 or new 660, have a much tighter turning radius. Additionally, the T is going to be $10k or so less money since it doesn't have the dual everything chrome stuff on it..

Kind of an old post by now but.........

Everything else being equal, how much worse is a W9 vs a T8 or 660? Say you compare two trucks that are 39ft OAL, extended cab, 28ft box, one is a W9 with 300"WB and the other a T8 with a 275"WB...............how much worse is the W9

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As I recall, at least on paper, the turning radius of the W9 was about 30% greater than the T6. The W9 is arguably the best looking truck on the road but if I were building a KW again it would be a T660.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Any idea if those numbers are published anywhere? I neglected to point out I was referring to the W900S with the sloped hood. The way the word it, it sounds like that models wheel cut is improved by 4 degrees by moving the steering gear forward but I don't know the actual numbers

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know anything about that model. Mine was the B. If they aren't on the KW website I'd ask the dealer for them. I would only do a T660 if I were doing another KW though. I believe it will be over $10k less expensive and better numbers all around.