Class 8 age vs. Straight Truck

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
Do companies view the age of a stretched 8 as a class 8 (giving the benefit of a few more years of service) or do they get viewed as a standard straight truck?

Thanks.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Hey Bugs,

Most generally a class 8 truck will be considered as being good for a solid 10 years of service. Some customers will not accept trucks at their facilities that are older than 10 model years, so for the most part that will be the service life of the truck.

Scott

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Good info. Looking at the stretched class 8 as well. Do you recommend dropping one axle in the back? I noticed yours only had one in a picture.

Oh yeah, I liked the article on the front page about you. Your a busy guy!

Jay

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Thanks, Jay. I hope you are doing well. My truck that you mention was set up as a 33GVW truck. If I had it do over again, I'd probably look for a class 8 that is set up for 53 (Tandems).

Some companies, Express-1 being one of them, will pay tractor trailer rate for any freight on the truck weighing over 13000lbs. This is a potential source of additional revenue, but there are a few things that should be considered along with just being able to haul more weight. Primarily, you'll need a place to PUT more weight on the truck.

To go along with your increased available payload I recommend a 102X102 box - and if you can swing it - a 24 foot box would be the best for this combination. I know that will require the sacrifice of some sleeper space - and the big ol' long nose trucks won't be good candidates for this kind of stretch. Cenuries and Columbias have shorter noses which leave room for ample sleeper and adequate box.

Remember - a straight truck can be no longer than 40 feet. Anything longer will be USELESS. It's not a legal vehicle.

A truck with tandems can haul more payload, will ride better (some say) but will also cost you more in tolls and tires. In all honesty, I think it is mainly just a matter of preference at this point. The added freight opportunities will make you some more money, but only if you have the rest of the truck to go with the tandems....

My opinion for what it is worth.

Thanks,

Scott

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
>Remember - a straight truck can be no longer than 40 feet.
>Anything longer will be USELESS. It's not a legal vehicle.
>
>A truck with tandems can haul more payload, will ride better
>(some say) but will also cost you more in tolls and tires.

Good info there! Thanks for the reply!

Bugsy

tlang563

Seasoned Expediter
>Remember - a straight truck can be no longer than 40 feet.
>Anything longer will be USELESS. It's not a legal vehicle.
I've often wondered why the 40' limit on straight trucks? The majority of over the road intercity buses are 45'. Tom.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Jay,

I really can't speak for KW because I don't have any direct personal experience with them. They do seem to be a good stretch platform - and they are gaining popularity. I'd keep asking around - even in the other fora on the site.

- Scott

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I've often wondered why the 40' limit on straight
>trucks? The majority of over the road intercity buses are
>45'. Tom.

Some states permit straight trucks longer than 40 feet but many do not. Thus, the practical limit is 40 feet. Contrast that limit to the totally unregulated RV motor coach driver pulling a long trailer behind.

It is fun to think about what we could do with an additional five feet of truck length but I don't think we'll see that in our lifetime.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Jay... I've seen a T-600 with a 24' box. Nice setup!

Ateam... never say never. They've gone from 45' to 48' to 53' trailers in a matter of a couple years. Another 5' on a straight truck would help, but at what cost? The turning radius would likely stink. If the extra length went off the back end, we'd be in the same boat as 53' trailers with the wide swing. I never had any probs with 48'ers, but the 53s were a mess.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Tennessee,

Cool. I have heard a lot of good things about Kenworth, especially the T-600. JD Power and Associates has also rated Kenworth as the highest heavy truck manufacturer in customer satisfaction for a while now. Plus, I love how the T-600 looks. :7

Jay