Chrysler laying off 1300.

Pro Direct

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
When oil is below $50 a barrel it hurts the economy. Nice at the pump sure but we always pay for it later.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Low fuel prices everyone wants gas hogs again.
I don't believe consumers ever wanted anything but the big car/SUV.. The so called fuel efficient vehicles where jammed down our throats so to speak in a attempt to save the world. Nothing has changed, the world is still in trouble. The consumer saved nothing. Granted the few tree huggers and alike demanded fuel efficient cars. They may have saved a few dollars at the pump over the life of the vehicle but paid for it in repair and replacement costs.

Reactions: uriykir

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just filled up here in Seattle @ $2.65. I guess that's why everyone rides bus's or bike's here. They are bringing back all the gas guzzlers. People have short memories. When gas goes back over $3.00+ midsized cars will fly out of the showroom again

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just filled up here in Seattle @ $2.65. I guess that's why everyone rides bus's or bike's here. They are bringing back all the gas guzzlers. People have short memories. When gas goes back over $3.00+ midsized cars will fly out of the showroom again
I repeat... They think thru the wallet

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
While I am sorry those people are laid off I don't feel sorry that it's happening to Chrysler because in my experience all they make is crap. While I know everyone car company can make a lemon, the 5 Chrysler products my immediate family have had only two were worth purchasing. Both were XJ Jeep Cherokees, one a 98 and the other late 80's

robh2

Veteran Expediter
3 dodge trucks in the past and all 3 lemons. One I got rid of before I ever heard of the lemon law. The second was bought back and traded for another one. It was worse than the one it replaced. Was offered a better deal selling than lemon lawing it. No more for me.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm a Ford guy but I bought a 3/4 ton 2007 4WD Ram brand new because it was the last of the "pre-emissions" 5.9L Cummins, it had a solid front axle, and I just always wanted one. It's a great truck. The seats are not the most comfortable in the world but I'm old school guy when it comes to pickups. They were meant to be used as light duty work trucks not mall crawlers and grocery getters.

I don't think cheap oil is the problem here. I think the fact that our Mexican neighbors work for peanuts is the biggest problem. At some point there will be no assembly plants in the USA or Canada. Ross Perot was exactly right so many years ago about that giant sucking sound of jobs going south due to NAFTA. For whatever reason that seems to be pegged as a kooky point of view. I don't care what a bunch of rich political and board room people think about free trade. The way I see it there should be tariffs and penalties for companies moving south of the border to make it not worthwhile.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm a Ford guy but I bought a 3/4 ton 2007 4WD Ram brand new because it was the last of the "pre-emissions" 5.9L Cummins, it had a solid front axle, and I just always wanted one. It's a great truck. The seats are not the most comfortable in the world but I'm old school guy when it comes to pickups. They were meant to be used as light duty work trucks not mall crawlers and grocery getters.

I don't think cheap oil is the problem here. I think the fact that our Mexican neighbors work for peanuts is the biggest problem. At some point there will be no assembly plants in the USA or Canada. Ross Perot was exactly right so many years ago about that giant sucking sound of jobs going south due to NAFTA. For whatever reason that seems to be pegged as a kooky point of view. I don't care what a bunch of rich political and board room people think about free trade. The way I see it there should be tariffs and penalties for companies moving south of the border to make it not worthwhile.
I have a more continental approach to this....as long as its made in NA we all prosper...and tariff the crap out the European and Asian imports and parts. Helping Mexico become more stable, will encourage some to stay home...

Look at one model....parts from Eygpt, Turkey, and S. Africa...and assembled here...Parts is where the money and jobs are....robotics assembles the cars now....

Reactions: ntimevan

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Funny (not really) you should mention our Mexican friends.

6 reasons Ford picked Mexico for a new plant

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2nd or 3rd choice..better to built in Mexico or Canada then Europe or asia.....using parts from over there....and we get 0 jobs