Choices

zebra1run

Expert Expediter
My goal is to eventually be a team O/O with a cargo van.

Question:

I would like my wife to be the other team driver. She is an insulin dependent diabetic that has demonstrated excellent control of her problem while maintaining a perfect driving record.

Can she be my team driver or must I find another person to work with me?

Thanks,
Zebra

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
All commercial drivers, even van drivers must maintain a "CDL", whether A,B, or C class. It is my understanding from a former driver with diabetes that one can have a "CDL" with diabetes as long as they are not insulin dependant. This may vary in your state, but I think that most companies would have to disqualify you for insurance reasons.
I would check with potential expediting companies for their opinions.
Good luck!
Tom

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Zebra,
In order for your wife to be a co-driver with you, you must find a company that does not require a cdl to operate a cargo van. Some of the smaller expediting companies will allow drivers to operate cargo vans or vehicles under 26,000 gvw without a cdl.

Good Luck,

ABC

zebra1run

Expert Expediter
>Zebra,
> In order for your wife to be a co-driver with you, you
>must find a company that does not require a cdl to operate a
>cargo van. Some of the smaller expediting companies will
>allow drivers to operate cargo vans or vehicles under 26,000
>gvw without a cdl.
>
>Good Luck,
>
>ABC

Thanks for the reply ABC.

Any paticular companies that you recommend from your experience?

Zebra

abcwine

Expert Expediter
You might want to try Bolt or Express 1 or Nations.
It depends on where you live, may help you decide on which carrier you would try. Not sure if they lease on non cdl operators, but it would be worth a try. Also, there are smaller companies out there that would lease you on, but I really don't know too much about them.

Good Luck,

ABC

zebra1run

Expert Expediter
>I know that we, Try Hours, do not require a CDL to operate a
>Cargo Van. You can add us to the list with the others.

I appreciate the reply and I'm continuing my research.

Zebra

Puddle pirate

Expert Expediter
O.K.

I have gone to several expediter sites and they are asking what pay I expect. I do not want to prce myself out of a job but I don't want to take it in the shorts either! Does anybody know the average rate for independent contract expediters driving cargo vans and pick-up's?

Thanks

PP