Choice? 52 cents/mile or 60/40 split?

WES

Expert Expediter
Hey Pro's,

Which would be better for a Newbie?

I have found 2 owners in my area.

A. Typical 60/40 split. I pay fuel & tolls. Truck is class 7 w/64in. sleeper, no fridge, micro,inverter. I would have to equip.

B. Pay 52 cents loaded mi. I pay tolls. They pay fuel w/fuel card, comcheck(?)for oil (10,000 Mi), wash it often. Units are class 8, w/84in. sleeper, micro, fridge, tv, vcr, some w/ satelite, toilet, shower, most units w/generator. Want us to stay out at least 3 weeks (no problem, we need to make serious money. We are not out for the sight seeing, want to retire someday) They don't mind if we take a weekend off somewhere if we have put several days of hard driving.

I believe we can make good w/ choice B if we are able to make what I think are average miles from the forums.

We will be ready to start July 1.

Would appreciate knowlegeable input.

Thanks, Wes

paperback1

Expert Expediter
what about your empty miles? and i could never understand why owners who do % split make the drivers pay for the tolls??? i do % split with most of my drivers, but as long as they turn in toll recipts, the company repays, so why make the driver pay tolls??? what company are these owners with?

WES

Expert Expediter
Correcton to my post.

As I think about it, company A pays tolls.

Company A leased to Tri-State. 14 trucks

Company B leased to Panther. 8 trucks, I think 5 consistant teams.

Wes

WES

Expert Expediter
Paperback,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not getting any repsonses. Maybe

>what about your empty miles?

I believe that is 52 Cents loaded miles.
With out paying fuel will 52 Centsbe a fair comparison to 60/40 split?

>and i could never understand
>why owners who do % split make the drivers pay for the
>tolls??? i do % split with most of my drivers, but as long
>as they turn in toll recipts, the company repays, so why
>make the driver pay tolls???

Do companies get reimbursed for tolls necessary to get to destination?

>what company are these owners
>with?

A. Paying 52 Cents. with Panther II, seems to have 5 satisfied teams
out of 8 trucks on the road

B. 60/40 Tri-State, seems no satisfied teams, complained about drivers abusing fridge, micros, invertors, so drivers equip themselves.

We are looking for a reasonable start up experience. We have always gone the extra mile for our employer to help make their program work. Willing to keep behind the steering wheel to do what it takes to make a living at this. We are not looking for this to be a sight seeing trip.

Thanks again, Wes

ddivine

Expert Expediter
Don't screw with either of those deals or u will be broke, to much wasted time, get a salry deal what ever u feel u need to make, if u are realistic on your income and owners will not pay that way run run very fast run very far. if u own truck u pay expenses if u drive truk owner payes expenses, don't think that owner is doing anything he's not profiting from if he can't pay salary how much money is really there. Good Luck be safe

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm going back here to my days as a driver for a fleet owner when I started out. The deal was nothing confusing- he paid me 35% of the gross pay he made to the truck, and he paid all the other expenses. Truck was leased to Thompson Emergency, back when they were really busy with GM freight, and I never refused a load. I consistently took home between $500-600 a week as a solo driver, and was home every 7-10 days, and had a good truck that I bought from him to go out on my own with. (Had that as an option from the beginning with him.) I do admit I was not a "pig" with expenses, such as excessive idling or spending his money wrongfully. That seemed like a pretty good deal, and the owner must have been making some money as he never once complained to me about anything.
If I were to hire someone to drive my truck now, I would offer them up that same sort of deal.
As a driver I would not pay for fuel or tolls. Why? Fuel costs roller-coaster, as do the amount of miles you might run each week. Tolls are the same thing- one week you might have no toll costs, the next week $100+ worth, you never know. With the deal I had, the fleet owner, not the driver, was picking up for the inconsistencies.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Wes, I don't consider myself a pro, but I do have some experience in expediting, and also paying people. I will give you some opinions.

>A. Typical 60/40 split. I pay fuel & tolls. Truck is class 7
>w/64in. sleeper, no fridge, micro, inverter. I would have to
>equip.---{make sure you hold onto all your receipts for the items you buy and put into the truck. I know a driver that put new items in truck and when he quit the owner called the police and said he had stolen those things out of the truck. Lucky for the driver he bought the things on a credit card and just happened to take pictures of the truck when he picked it up. He still lost time and money} ---{Keep in mind that the fuel prices are see-sawing across the US every day. You will lose out on this deal. If all you drivers that work for these so called owners would understand he needs you, you don't need him. He would have to pay the fuel if he was driving the truck. If you don't drive , his truck will sit. As for the tolls, this is iffy. If you have to pay the toll road you will go out of route and add more miles and maybe deliver the load late. This will go on the owners record, with the company he is leased to. He should be the one that pays the tolls, but should tell you when to use the toll road. Some of these owners don't want to do any work, but stand there with their hand out to collect the money.}---{This isn't a typical split, it is the best looking. Ask some of the drivers that are working on this 60/40 thing. They are making just enough to get by. Ask the owner, if you can find one to be honest. If you had a break down of what the owner is pocketing, you would do it yourself.}

>B. Pay 52 cents loaded mi. I pay tolls.---{What if you have a load going from Toledo to Philly. About 500 miles and most of it are on the toll road. You would get $260.00 @ $0.52, it would take you about 10 hours to run the trip, and you would pay about $100.00,for tolls. Now you’re in Philly and have to go off duty. You will have to eat, shower, and all that jaz. The next day you have to go into NY city to get a load, $50.00 more for tolls and zero pay for empty miles. You get loaded and only have 4 hours to drive. Your take on load #1$110.00 for 24hrs.=$4.58 an hour, not including food. Your better off working at Mickey Dees, They pay fuel!!!!}

>I believe we can make good w/ choice B if we are able to
>make what I think are average miles from the forums.---{Try to get the owner to pay toll roads, and 1/2 your empty miles}--or--{the $0,52 a mile is about like you working for about 40%. you may be better off working for 35% and the owner pay all.}---{Another good piece of advice is to check out the owner, do a credit check on him and also call the company he is leased to. (If they tell you that information is confidential, then tell them to have him sign a wavier, and you will also have to sign a form, stating you will not sell, or trade any of the info). Ask them about this owner. Get some names, and numbers of present, and past drivers, from the owner. Call them and ask them about this owner. If the owner will not cooperate and give you any info, this should be a red flag. It would be best to walk away from this owner.}

>We will be ready to start July 1.

>Would appreciate knowledgeable input.

>Thanks, Wes {Good Luck}---{Paperback1, ddivine and Weave gave you some good help use it.}