Chauffeur?

taciturn

Expert Expediter
I currently have a Chauffeurs' license and would really be interested in expedited freight. I would like to start out in a van and possibly work my way up. My question is, am I likely to find a fleet owner willing (or legally able to) let me drive a cargo van for them? I would like to have a CDL "C" and my own van to run but, sadly, my finances won't permit that kind of step at the moment. I don't have a family to support so that is a plus (or at least I think it is...).

Another question... I have a friend who also posesses a chauffeurs' license and is also interested in expiditing. We have discussed running as a team but from our understanding of things we would need at least a CDL "C" to drive anything beyond a cargo van, are we right in this assumption or..? I know even if we were able to drive a van as a team the money wouldn't be much if it was something that was even possible.

At this point I'm just tossing around ideas and gathering information, any help is appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You can drive either a "B" or "c" on a class C lic. Of course most Expedite companies will require you to have a Hazmat endorsement.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Since you'll need at least a CDL class C to work in this field and you hope to run team with someone, I would suggest starting out in a C unit. Most I have seen are hydraulic brake so a C class CDL is all you need, and they are more comfortable than sharing a cargo van with another person.

Vernon in C2197