Channel 19

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They need to holler clear across to the next county.,
You know,wall to wall and tree top tall .

It's also a status symbol, I believe.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I'm not from that part lol. You must have me confused with someone from eastern Kentucky :p. I'm from the bluegrass region where the horse money is

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
By the time you turn it on it's too late. You're already trapped in the traffic snarl. All it will do is let you know what caused it.

If you leave it on all the time so maybe you hear soon enough to avoid the snarl you'll likely be insane from all the drivel. You'll also have to put up with the morons running amplifiers and other things that let them blast out 20-30-40 miles or maybe more drowning out everyone else. Never mind that they can't hear anyone more than 2-4 miles away from them, well, except for the other morons within range.

The 2 times I went somewhere that said use the cb were no problem. One time I could drive in so I did. The other time I called them and told them I was at the gate.

akguy907

Rookie Expediter
Complete waste of time. Most shippers/receivers will call your cell phone now and as far as traffic is concerned most map apps have traffic updates on them. I have a CB and most of the time it stays off unless I'm tired and need a good laugh hearing all the dumb**** who talk on there frequently.

"If the rule you followed brought you to this, then of what use was the rule?"

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
CBS are best for buying cheaps toys off broke drivers at truck stops.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
My CB has come in handy a few times, and if you buy one DONT buy a cheap fiberglass antenna, get a Wilson Trucker 2000 and your cheap CB will sound better and youll have EARS....They ruined CBs when the first IDIOT installed the ECHO board, then the Sampler chip, and now the Effects chip....all that ridiculous, I AINT GOT NO PANTYS ON...and Bird calls, Roger Beeps, garbage.....

Its saved me a few times with Channel 9 emergency calls, or if you need traffic etc...Local Directions, but with the new GPS, Cell Phones ya its been relegated to second place, but I think still a useful tool for comedy shows when in truck stops, LOL....Ive met some great folks and had some long chats while driving down lonely stretches of road...

I go way back in CB, back to the time you had to apply for a call sign, and get a permit....I owned a Golden Eagle base station and a Pierce Simpson Mobile Base...had Moonraker 6's on my house and a small 500 watt"Bumper".....my CB handle today is BAD OSCAR....

Today Ive got the Cobra 40 channel LED Its been fully modded, has the LARGE final and Booster, and the Noise Cancelling mic....its got weather, and several test features such as Voltage check, RF Check, Antenna check all built in....about 200.00 with all the mods....I do not have any Noise makers or echo junk installed, just clarifying and modulating improvements.

https://www.cobra.com/sites/default/files/features/29LX_CHR_LE_SPEC.pdf

MurrayExpeditingLLC

Active Expediter
I carry a CB and usually have it on a majority of the time. Definitely not like the old days but it does come in handy for a good laugh around traffic jams and truck stops. Has also saved me from sitting on a shut down highway a few times also.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using EO Forums mobile app

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can count on one hand the amount of times I've needed a CB in the last 2 and a half years in my sprinter.. Therefore, i'll pass on putting the one I have into the van... Don't need the headache of all the morons that have one now.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thought about getting one of the HT's that could be put away all the time in a seatback organizer but available for that once a year or so I wanted one. If I'd kept driving I might have done that. If I ever go back to driving I'll probably do that.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a CB in the truck it comes in handy.

You don't need anything too extreme.
A basic cobra 19 40 channel 3 buttons power/volume, squelch and channel 50 - 75 bucks works fine
Ive had one in my truck for over 6 years. It recently stopped working. Not bad for being shook around for six plus years. Not sure if its the wiring, CB itself, or just a good excuse to install the 29LTD my brother bought me for my BD back in August.

If you want more bells and whistles a Cobra 29 LTD 100 - 150 bucks Fancier and nicer especially, if you run duals or want to be able to fine tune it on the fly. Its still basic enough so you don't need an engineering degree to install and use it.

R.F. communications secretes.

1) What kind of vehicle are you running?
C van you can get away with a single 36 or 48 inch antenna and will have better performance with a single on a van. If you want the dual look have one wired and working and the other as a dummy or posably for the AM/FM radio. There are adapters to tie them together but make sure you check the owners manual for your vehicle radio so you don't have problems. Keep in mind if its not broke don't fix it.
Trucks singles get the job done but you can get better reception and broadcast with duals. That's because they have a box or trailer and this scatters the signal.

2) Most CBs come adjusted to apx 80% of their wattage output.
Pay the extra bucks and have it peaked and tuned? Its worth it if you plan on, or wind up using the radio allot, or realize you want better reception. A good shop will tell you if its worth the extra dough and what they can do. A basic peak and tune 20 or 30 bucks, the price goes up from there for more advanced work like swapping chips etc. As a piece of advice if they don't want to at least let you watch and tell you " its a trade secrete" find someone else. They will likely take it into the back room and screw off for five or ten minutes, and hand you back an unchanged radio.
The most important factor is the antenna cable and the antenna itself.
Fiberglass Antennas are inexpensive, durable, and come as kits to get you started. Again I've been running mine for the past six plus years in the north east with a Cobra 19 sound check, 36 inch fiberglass truck stop antenna kit, and can skip 2 or 3 miles legal wattage.
If you can keep it legal try to get antennas that will clear the box by at least 6 to 12 inches. More is better but remember the 13'6" height clearance, and mount them as far apart as possible and a slight tip aprox. 20 deg forward of the box to reduce scattering the signal across the box.
Tips with the coax. 1 you don't need 18 feet of cable for a 1/2 wave it does help to keep it in increments of 9 feet. 9 feet will achieve a 1/4 length and will work fine. 2 Don't coil it in the headliner try to lay it flat as possible so you don't create a choker. If you have extra lay it in a smooth serpentine pattern.
Make sure the ends are soldered onto the coax. Cheaper junk coax is crimped they will fail you.

Tunable like Firestix are better but are more expensive and better suited for dual setups. A good cable I'm running with Beldin or Roadpro 8x clear jacket coax with good results I'm planning on upgrading the antennas when I install the new radio after a P&T and should be able to skip 5 miles legal.

But as a starter and for the money an antenna kit at a truck stop will do just fine.
Besides, If you realize you don't like the CB or simply drive with it off 90% of the time you wont break the bank.
Last but not least keep the wattage legal the FCC doesn't bother as much with wattage now days as they did 15, 20 years ago when CBs were more popular but they do check on occasion.

Good luck and PM me if I can help.

Bob Wolf.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Anyone ever hauled a load from Texas to Georgia and wished you had a basset hound as a copilot?
Seems like that would be a fun ride.

I think the closest I came was an OK to FL with a helicopter fuel tank. Or maybe it was flaperon slings.