Certification Process

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi All...Happy Turkey Day.

I posted earlier regarding getting started...

I'm now understanding that getting "certified" by one or several of the companies is necessary... Is this correct ???

If I decide to drive for an O/O (say one of the ads on the classified)
Will I need to be certified by his/her freight company 1st ???

Does it make sense to apply to these companies online now ?

I have started my CDL process will be taking the written tests next week and have a truck lined up to do the driving test during December
I plan to be CDL ready by year end.

Thanks,

Hope everyone is safe out there and has an opportunity to be with family during this season....
Happy Thanksgiving... ( I love turkey !!!)

Tazman in Pa.:9

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It's not a certification, but you can fill out the applications for the companies and get "pre-hired." That meaning you meet their qualifications, and after receiving your CDL can choose to run at their company if desired. You can do this for as many companies as you like, and I would suggest it. Reason being some companies aren't taking on any more trucks or vans at the moment, some only trucks and not vans, vice versa. That way you will find out which companies are interested in you. Then look over the materials ineterested companies send you, and talk to their personnel on the phone. This way you can pick the place that best suits you.
-Weave-
..Forgot to mention- if you are going to drive for a fleet owner, they will most often only have their trucks leased on at maybe one or two companies. You will have to drive where they have the truck leased, and the fleet owner will set you up with the applications and all. The fleet owner will also know if you will qualify to drive for the companies the trucks are leased to when he/she interviews you.
-Weave-

tazman

Expert Expediter
thanks for the reply...

So as I understand...even if I sign on with an O/O as a driver and he has his truck leased to say Panther for example...I would then need to be "qualified with Panther" to drive his truck ????

Is this correct ???

Thanks,

Tazman :)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, that is correct. The fleet owner would fax an application to Panther, and pending its approval the fleet owner would hire you. You will then essentially work for both the fleet owner and Panther. You would be paid by the fleet owner, but get your work instructions from Panther.
-Weave-