Cell phones?!

mouse549

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Can anyone help me, i'm looking into a cell phone provider.
Who is a good company?
How many minites should I start with and what is a good monthly rate?
Thanx

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would look for at least 300 minutes day time and unlimited nights and weekends. AT&T used to have good programs when I was expediting. If you have qualicom in your unit, you won't need to call dispatch unless of an emergency and then you can always pull over to use the phone. The unlimited nights and weekends come in handy as you can talk (usually after nine) all night to your wife without worrying about your minutes. Sometimes nextel has good programs too. The hands free kit for the vehicle comes in handy too. Good luck.
Randy:)

mouse549

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanx,
I will not have qualcom in the truck, so I will be using the phone to talk to dispatch and home. There are so many companies with so many plans its hard to choose.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I would suggest AT&T, they still are the only company that offers true Nation wide service - with no roaming fees. All the other companies claim nation wide service - but only on their "network".
If you roam off their network...whamo!

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Lawerence I hate to disagree with you but we have a cell phone with Cingular wireless and we have 500 anytime minutes,3000 night and weekend minutes for $49 + lots of taxes each month.There is never a roaming charge anywhere in the country,whether we are on their network or not. We have another phone with Verizon and are under a plan called America Choice.We get 300 anytime minutes plus unlimited night and weekend minutes for $39 plus taxes.However you must place the call on the Verizon network and most of the US is covered.The phone will tell you when you are off their network. Cingular Customer Service is great,Verizon is the pits at least in my dealings so far.The advantage in having 2 different networks is that in some areas one network may not have service but the other one will.The only time I have had problems with Cingular is Western Florida and SouthEast Alabama. Verizon has more dead areas that Cingular as far as I can tell.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Rich,

I stand corrected. :eek:

I know Verizon, Sprint and a few others made the "nationwide" claim but if you read the fine print, it is only available while on their network.

Thanks,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use the Nextel service, and that is a real good company for me. The nextel has a two way feature that does not use you phone time. I use it to talk to our other drivers and it's a good way for me to stay in touch with the wifeeee. The two way will reach out in about a 250 mile radius, maybe more. I can be at the 80 mile post on the Ohio TP and talk to my wife and other drivers back in Pgh. I can also talk to others about 100 miles east of Pgh from the same spot. They do have alot of dead zones and if it wasn't for the two way I wouldn't be using thier service. I have heard that cell one is okay for traveling.

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I just saw an ad in the Detroit paper on Sunday for AT&T nationwide service--a new program for unlimited nationwide service for $99 per month. AT&T Nationwide service is good.