cell phones

JJ

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sprint 2000 anytime minutes with unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited Sprint to Sprint. With tax and other fees runs $110.00
a month.

I know it is pricy, but I have a net work of fellow drivers who have Sprint too, and we do talk for HOURS!!!!

Biggest problem with Sprint you will drop calls,little or no service in Kentucky for some reason.Make sure that you stop by a Sprint store from time to time and have the software updated, as they are always adding towers. Updating will increase your reception and service.

I would suggest you check out Nextel,AT&T, and Sprint depending on your home area.

SAFETY MESSAGE: make sure you can talk hands free! Invest in good headset and holster mount (mine charges and can be a speaker) for your cell phone. Check out Target stores for holster mount. I spent way too much for my holster mount and exactly 5 hours later found same identical holster mount for $20.00 less at Target!

JJ;)

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
Good point on the headset JJ. It drives me crazy to see drivers of big dumps,tankers,anytruck to be truthful drive around without it.Also school bus drivers.They try to turn and shift with that phone stick to their ear. Hawk

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I would recommmend AT&T Nationwide service. We have always had great service and have never spent a dime of roaming or long dsitance fees.

I also enjoy their 2 way text/e-mail service. For $39.95 I get 200 anytime minutes and 500 after hours minutes.

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I used sprint for a while. the reception and service were good,but if you were roaming on that system it cost a fortune. Maybe they have a better plan now. I switched to verizon, I get all the minutes I need including long distance, with no roaming charges. Costs about a hundred a month. Just make sure the plan you get has enough minutes for your needs.That was another problem I had. as soon as you run out of minutes,the price went way up again.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I HAD SPRINT BEFORE I GOT INTO THE BUSINESS! GOT RIPPED OFF REAL BAD! NOW I HAVE AT&T NATIONWIDE ONE RATE, WITH 450 ANYTIME MINUTES & 1000 NIGHTS & WEEKENDS FOR $ 59.95 A MONTH. SO FAR THE MINUTE PROGRAM I PICKED IS WORKING OUT PRETTY GOOD, NO ROAMING CHARGES, AND ONLY ONE TIME I COULDN'T MAKE A CALL. PLUS HAVING LIMITED MINUTES CAN GIVE YOU AN EXCUSS FOR A SHORT PHONE CALL! TAKE CARE EVERYONE! SHARP327:)

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use AT&T Wireless. After I had the antena repaired on my cell phone, I have had good reception in the midwest.

Has anyone tried any of the add on antenas?

Drive Safe

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
I used to have a NOKIA with an external antenna that magnet mounted on truck, ran wire inside and plugged into back of phone. Didn't really see much difference.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Use Verizon Wireless, tried a couple of others and found this one best for me. Use hands free set, permantely mounted.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use AT&T wireless Find it to be very good in all areas east of Mississippi River since I very seldom have loads past there.
NO Roaming or long distance fees.
The plan is the One Rate.
Had it for over three years.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I had to change something.

Hi Hawk
Now that you heard from all the others I will throw in my 2cents.
I would suggest for you to get the Verizon. And I rate them a +10 WHY??? See I know where you live and about how far a delivery range you have. I also have had Nextel, I give them a -2, they are bad for places anywhere out side of the Cleveland area. AT&T, I give them a +9 only because you can get a better rate from Verizon. Sprint, +4, just as JJ said you will drop a lot of calls. Altell, -5, They are real bad.

With the Verizon in your area the coverage area is all of Ohio and part of PA,& Mich. For a total of $39.95 a month you can get 400 anytime minuets and 1000phone to phone minuets, with unlimited nights and weekends, and no roam, along with voice and text messaging. You can get email and the Internet also for $5.00 more a month, and with the second phone you can share minuets. The service is great, the only place I have a dead area is coming up Rt14 out of Salem, and it is for about 8miles. They will give you a $200 phone for $50 with a second one free. Go Check them out.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I would like to know what type of cell phone service you
>guys and gals are using. Hawk
I've been using AT&T for almost 3 years and the service has been good. They seem to increase benifits to match the competition; however, I have been interested in the Cinguar rollover minutes and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We use both Cingular Wireless and Verizon.I rate Cingular as a + 10 and Verizon as a - 10. When you are feeling down and need to laugh a call to Verizon!s customer service will get you up again.When you finally get through you will be talking to someone who is in a obvious halfway house program. I relly liked it when the Verizon Rep said "What you want".etc. Cingular is a little weak in parts of Alabama but otherwise works well all over the US.

ihatejeffgordon

Expert Expediter
Not too many people plugging cingular, but i'm as happy as i could be. one bummer, though. you can either get nationwide plan (no long distance/roaming ever) -OR- rollover minutes, but not both. that's ok, i guess, cause with my big mouth i'd never have any minutes to roll over except for my 1.3 million night/weeken minutes i get every month -lol. i hear they don't offer night/weekend minutes with nationwide plans anymore. that means all calls would burn up anytime minutes. don't quote me on that.

Remember, Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.

Dice

Expert Expediter
There are only 2 truely nationwide cell phone companies and even then to get the most out of it you need a tri-mode phone. I have Verizon with a startac trimode phone and I also have a sierra wireless card in my laptop that has unlimited minutes of internet airtime nationwide within Verizon's Express Network. This allows me to send and recieve faxes with full access to the internet.

AT&T has the same system with there T Mobile network which I think is jointly created by Verizon and AT&T.

I have not came across anybody that had Nextel, Sprint or Cingular phones equal Verizon or AT&T with the full nationwide coverage.

Verizon web site: www.verizonwireless.com

Click on "Internet and Data Products" for more on the Express Network.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Ok on cell phones here is one of the big problems....It seems you really do get what you pay for...If you buy a cheap phone then thats what you get..They dont have as much power to reach out to the towers...I have sprint...We had nextel and they dont even work in Maine...What a joke..My partner and i went there on a run and it took him 3hrs to get tower..I had tower but yes i was roaming..sprint i have not had a place where it did not work...Even in the smokeys and at the top of the Rockys at 12,500 ft..My buddy told me it wouldnt work in the rockys and it did he flipped...But i got a couple of hundred dollar phone that is the latest and greatest...My wife had a sprint flip phone and she never would have a signal more then 2 bars.But im right next to her with mine with is not a flip and i had full signal...So really pay attention to the phone that your buying spend some money and get a good one...
but i have 500 anytime and 4000 night and weakends and free pcs to pcs calling and all the other options and free long distance and its $49.95 and i got internet
MAKE SURE TO STAY CLEAR OF NEXTEL IF YOUR GOING OVER THE ROAD...I HAVE HAD NO LUCK WITH THEM..Also Nextel lost there patinent on the 2 way and sprint has 2 way but its only released to there high engineers to get the bugs worked out..so i see them coming out with 2 way soon...So they tell me..