cell phone ????

yankee0177

Expert Expediter
with everyone out there haveing a cell phone can you tell me what phone company get out the best??? seem to have good service all around the usa!!!and what company to stay away from??? }> is there a way to hook your computer in your truck to get on line ???
or do you use a truck stop ????

like to know how u-all work your computer on the road so much???
}> }>

thank you for your input !!!:7 :7

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have 2 cell phones.One is with Cingular wireless and the other with Verizon.I prefer the Cingular system over Verizon,but other people will tell you different and say ATT/T,Nextel,Alltel,Sprint etc are better. Make sure you read the FINE print,nowadays it seems like most of the cell compamies only give free acess when you are on their network. My Cingular plan, which is no longer offered provides for free long distance and roaming anywhere in the USA.The Verizon plan only gives free acess when you are calling or receiving on the Verizon network,however the phone can be programmed to let you know if you are on the Verizon network. I was thinking the other day that these new phones that take digital photos could come in very handy if you think your cargo is not loaded right, or in the event of an accident etc,you could take and download photos immeadiately to your company.
I still have to laugh at the Verizon Customer Service department,I called one time and after the usual 20 minutes on hold had a female voice say"Verizon,What You Want"..

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I use Verizon, but when Nextel comes out with their nationwide walkytalky system, I'm gonna look into them. As far as the phone with cameras, I like the idea, but I don't like the price of them. A cheap camera is just fine for now

RobZip

Expert Expediter
I use Verizon. $45 a month gets me 400 peak use minutes, more than enough if ya don't try chattin' trash with the dispatch girls too much. That includes unlimited night and weekend minutes and 1000 minutes free with other Verizon users. Also gets me free long distance - especially nice when you call at night and don't use airtime minutes.

Coverage is pretty good most anywhere. There are some areas in the mountain regions where there aren't enough cell towers to stay on the network. Some of the valleys would require a tower on every hilltop to get 100% coverage so that isn't going to happen with any service.

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As mentioned, you will get a lot of differing opinions as to which cellular service is the "best". I've had AT&T "One Rate" for a little over four(4) years and have been very happy with not only the phone service,but also with the customer service(!!!). As for connecting to the internet: I purchased a PC Card from Sprint about 3
weeks ago and have been pleasantly surprised by its performance. It is a bit "pricey" upfornt, but with more and more T'stops starting to charge for internet connections, I guess a case could be made for
saying it might pay for itself, over time. It is great to be able to
sit in the truck(I'm writing this from the cab of the truck) and access any infoyou might want. Just my two cents worth, good luck.

G

well I think Nextell has the best plan out there if you talk on your phone a lot like I do. Nextel offer's you a phone with unlimited calling and no roam charge's. You can call anyone at anytime anywhere in the USA for a Flat fee of $199.99 per month. I had bills at other Companies for over $500.00 for one month. so this works for me. Good luck on finding the right cell phone for you.

Dave Mayfield

gambler

Expert Expediter
>well I think Nextell has the best plan out there if you talk
>on your phone a lot like I do. Nextel offer's you a phone
>with unlimited calling and no roam charge's. You can call
>anyone at anytime anywhere in the USA for a Flat fee of
>$199.99 per month. I had bills at other Companies for over
>$500.00 for one month. so this works for me. Good luck on
>finding the right cell phone for you.
>
>Dave Mayfield

i like that plan even better for the $149. a mo. i pay for it. and believe me i use about 3500 to 4000 min a month just on the phn side and about 1000 min on the 2way

G

>>well I think Nextell has the best plan out there if you talk
>>on your phone a lot like I do. Nextel offer's you a phone
>>with unlimited calling and no roam charge's. You can call
>>anyone at anytime anywhere in the USA for a Flat fee of
>>$199.99 per month. I had bills at other Companies for over
>>$500.00 for one month. so this works for me. Good luck on
>>finding the right cell phone for you.
>>
>>Dave Mayfield
>
>i like that plan even better for the $149. a mo. i pay for
>it. and believe me i use about 3500 to 4000 min a month just
>on the phn side and about 1000 min on the 2way

I know it would be nice if it was $149.00. but you get alot for $199.99 it has all the bells to it too. you can even send your e-mail right off your phone and IM someone from your phone,now that is cool.