Cell phone as a computer modem

WES

Expert Expediter
I have seen softeware that would allow one to hook cell phone to your laptop and dial the internet.

Has anyone had expoerience with it.

We are going with Verizon phone service. I know they have the phone card but that is another $60 a month. We are trying to keep expenses down.

I will get a WiFi cardd to use in propere areas.

Appreciate any response,

Thanks, Wes

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
we use our cell as a modem but we are w/sprint. we have a friend who does it w/verizon. it works good for the price comparison. not sure what he pays, but w/sprint you buy the vision pack for 15$ a month and have unlimited internet. make sure youy get a good cable and disc that has all the connection and drivers included also one that charges the phone.

kinilu57

Expert Expediter
We started out with the cell phone hook up with Verizon. You can only use your computer the same as when you can use your phone for free or it will use your phone minutes. I live on my computer, lately, so the phone card is a much better fit for me. I can be on my computer anytime for as long as I want and still have phone service. I also have a Cingular phone and Verizon works in more places in this country. Don't know if I helped, but this is my 2 cents. Good Luck.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use the Verizon cellphone modem with about the same results.
Service has allways been slow,but it seems it has got slower since they started pushing the air card at %$50. or $60.

Somebody said Verizon took bandwidth away from the regular cell service to force us into the Air Card.

I believe this to be true.

Run4biz

Expert Expediter
I've used Sprint with Futuredial software and found it worked pretty well. I would suggest you look for a cable that also charges your phone from the computer battery. By doing this you will recharge your phone while online. Hope this helps!!!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm pretty stuck on the Sprint aircard. I'm finding myself in more and more EVDO areas, which means broadband connection speed. At $60/month, most don't want that kind of service. If you do need it (looking for loads or addicted to online poker), it's worth it.

WES

Expert Expediter
rdytrk,

Are you using Future Dial. I tried that 2 yr ago w/ Sprint but could never get it to work.

Got an email from Future Dial a few weeks saying they ahd upgraded and added more phones. I may check it further.

Hinted at using the software when I bought the phones a Best Buy. Sales clerk said it would be illegal, then latter said I could try it and he heard that it worked.

Will download the upgrade from Future Dial and see about a cable.

Will appreciate any other ideas.

Wes

vipra

Expert Expediter
I also use FutureDial's SnapDialer software with Sprint to get the Internet, and it works great. I've used it for a year and rarely have problems. It's only $15/month for Sprint's Vision plan. It gives unlimited access and doesn't use up phone minutes. It does have a few minor problems:
---It doesn't work while roaming.
---It is slow, 56K, not high speed like Wi-Fi
---If someone calls you while you are on the Internet the call may or may not come through.

creekindian33

Expert Expediter
i personaly dont like it because if u loose the signel u loose everything but some say its the only way to go i have no problems whith t/a wifi im not on the puter enough to pay that high price cell :)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Of anyone has a Sprint LG5350 I have the software and cable to hook up to your laptop. I bought it on ebay, then my phone died and I bought a Nokia, so I've never used it. Drop me a PM and we'll see about getting it to ya.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

Ability is what you're capable of doing...
Motivation determines what you do...
Attitude determines how well you do it. (Lou Holtz)
-------------------

---------

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi- I have always been a Verizon customer. I used the cell phone with the Office manager system for quite a while. I was on the computer so much that I used more minutes online than calling. Once I got up to 2000 minutes & 1000 weekend minutes, I thought enough already... Besides, unless your QC is on all the time and you are in the truck, you are out of communication. All I would get is a voicemail notification, then have to get off-line.
Since I got the PC card, I get online almost anywhere- either National Access, and sometimes Broadband. The speeds are much faster, and more reliable. I now pay the $60 a month, and have cut my minutes down to 1350, and may go lower. Overall cost is now less... it's the only way to go. One can even use it on the fly, as long as hills are not a problem. I listen to baseball at night or even watch games, can do rapid downloads, etc...:)