CDL'S and Driving Time

truckwife

Expert Expediter
I have my cdl's but i havent drove for almost 2years(major illness's of both parents)my husband has been driving still,and we are trying to get into the expdeited business.He's afraid that if we tarry much longer that I might have to go through trucking school again Is this possible with this amount of time off? I do have 2yrs.OTR Team with husband.The 2 years or so I drove was 9/00-12/02.I renewed my Haz-Mat a few months ago.We are looking to buy a straight truck.Thanks for any reply.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Truckwife,
Most companies will be drooling for a husband and wife team to get into the straight truck business. Most of us don't require current drive time in the straight truck division. So if this is something you want to do, than please pursue it.

Good Luck and feel free to ask any other questions,

ABC

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
If you both have clean driving records, based on what you mentioned here you should have no problem signing on with the company of your choice. Best wishes getting back into the game.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I haven't driven for 4 years. Believe me, the first night driving my truck back home was crazy, but it's like riding a bike, ya never forget. By the second day, most of that weird feeling was gone, and I was back to the good ol driver I was. Have your hubby take you to a huge parking lot and just drive for a couple of hours. Then get out on the expressway in the middle of the night and it should all come back to you.

Darlene

Expert Expediter
Con-Way NOW does not require experience to operate a Straight Truck.
We have recently started a lease purchase program which would help you get into a Straight Truck of your own. We also keep a list of current owners looking for drivers.
Give us a call

PeachyPoo

Expert Expediter
Ok, after the first of October, DOT has changed regulations to if you have not had a years experience in the type of vehicle you are in then you have to have 40 hours class room training. How are the companies working around that new law that is going into effect?

Darlene

Expert Expediter
In response to message 3

New DOT Regulation. Final Rule

The regulation does not mandate training hours, however, the agency did compute training costs on an average completions time of 10.5 hours.

Con-Way NOW has incorporated the new regulations into their Orientation class. Everyone now receives this training regardless of how much experience they have.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Peachypoo,
It seems that most of the expedtie companies have incorporated some sort of new dot training into their orientations. This is usually another hour added to the class focused entirely on the "newbies".

ABC