CB RADIOS

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HI ALL! I'M IN NEED OF HAVING SOME WORK DONE ON MY CB AND I LIVE SLIGHTLY NORTH OF DETROIT, SEEMS I NEED NEW COAXIAL CABLE RAN PLUS I'D LIKE TO ACQUIRE A LITTLE MORE POWER TO TALK WITH, PLUS HAVING EVERY THING MATCHED. WORKING ON A BUDGET RIGHT NOW AND SURE WOULD LIKE TO FIND SOMEONE IN THE AREA THAT COULD HELP ME OUT. ANYONE KNOWING OF SOMEONE ? COULD YOU LET ME KNOW HOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM? I APPRECIATE IT!! THANKS SHARP327:)

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HEY ROADTOAD! THANKS ALOT! I'LL GIVE HIM A YELL AS SOON AS I CAN! DOC HOLIDAY, MAN I WONDER IF THAT'S THE SAME DOC HOLIDAY I USE TO CHAT WITH YEARS AGO? I'LL SURE FIND OUT! THANKS AGAIN! & BE SAFE! LATER SHARP327:) :) :)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Sharp,
I don't know much about radios, but I do know, to some of us our radio's are our life line to the out side world. Some even say their radio is like a woman, finicky as all get up. I depend on my radio and don't just want any Joe Shmoe working on it. Although from what you say you need done, just about anyone can run new coax and match it up with an SWR meter, and not hurt the radio, unless the match is off. I know alot of guys that say they are good radio doctors,---- BUT -----lets just say they have yet to prove it to me. Another thing to keep in mind, is that there are alot of drivers that buy radios and don't have a clue what they are buying, then let some a-hole work on it to do something as simple as set a match, then hit him with a $100bill. You can run your own coax, then go to a CB shop and have them balance it in for you. If you buy from them, most CB shops will match you up for free. There are a cuple of shops at the truck stops in Toledo, on 280, and 420, but I wouldn't recommend the one called the Stony Ridge CB shop. He is in the Petro. The other is south of him near the R&J Trucking yard, alittle passed the TA, on the east side of the road. Don't know much about him.

As for the power, you have to know what it is you want the power for. Do you want to talk louder (greater modulation), or receive better (variable power, or high drive), or reach out and touch-talk a longer distance,(low drive)? It is important to match the type of power you want with the kind of radio you have. There are some radios that will not work with any kind of power. Then some radios already have power built right into them. Do you want a 250, 350, 500 or so on? In my opinion one of the better power sources would be a Texas Star.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HEY TEACEL! THANKS FOR THE ADVICE,I GUESS I DON'T KNOW HALF AS MUCH AS I THOUGHT I DID,NOW I'VE GOT A LITTLE BIT MORE TO GO BY. I GUESS I COULD RUN THE COAX MYSELF IT'S JUST A MATTER OF FINDING TIME TO DO IT. I GET A DAY OFF THE ROAD AND ALL I DO IS GET READY TO GET AFTER IT AGAIN AS I'M SURE EVERYONE ELSE DOES, THANKS AGAIN!! SHARP327:) OH ROADTOAD! I GOT OFF AT EXIT 15 OFF I-75 WENT TO THE RIGHT LOOKING FOR A SPEEDWAY STATION BUT DIDN'T SEE ONE, DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO TRY THE OTHER SIDE OF I-75 CAUSE I WAS ON A RUN, IS IT ON THE EAST SIDE OF 75 @ EXIT 15 ? THANKS SHARP327:)

roadtoad

Expert Expediter
Just heard yesterday that Doc closed up the shop. He did really good work for a great price to boot. Sorry.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HEY ROADTOAD THANKS ANYWAY ! THE CB JUST BECAME #2 ON THE TO-DO LIST, HAD TO PUT THE TRUCK INTO THE SHOP, I THINK THE SYNCRO'S ARE BAD IN MY TRANS.I GUESS THAT'S JUST PART OF DOING BUSINESS WITH A TRUCK HUH? HOPEFULLY IT'S UNDER WARR. TAKE CARE SHARP327:-(

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There is a place called Electronic Connection on Ford Rd., east of I-275 at the Newburgh (S.E. Corner). I have been satisfied with the work they have done for me.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
WHEW!!!THE TRANS. WAS OK SO I TOOK THE TRUCK TO A PLACE CALLED K-40 AND SPENT MY MONEY THERE! THEY'RE LOCATED JUST EAST OF VAN :censoredsign: ON 14 MILE RD. THEY REALLY SEEM LIKE THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING! MY RADIO WORKS GREAT NOW I CAN TALK AND LISTEN, WHILE I WAS THERE MY OTHER HALF BOUGHT ME THE SATALITE RADIO SYSTEM WHICH I'LL HAVE INSTALLED THIS WEEKEND, THE LADY THERE SAID THAT SOMETIME SOON YOU'LL BE ABLE TO USE THE SAME SYSTEM TO PICK UP SATALITE TV, WITH THE USE OF A SPLITER AT AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE. HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HEARD OF THIS BEFORE? KINDA HOPE SHE'S NOT PULLING MY LEG CAUSE I'VE BEEN THINKING OF A TV UPGRADE. TAKE CARE EVERYBODY! LATER SHARP327:) :) :)

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Well i have not heard about the xm radio able to get satelite tv soon...I do my own dtv cards and i know they are on 2 different satelite systems....

blubomber1

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Sharp.....depending on how far North of Detroit you are, there is a shop in Port Huron called World of CB. Rattler is really good, works on all my rigs. If you get towards Port Huron, hop on channel 2 and give him a shout. He guarantees his work.

wombat32

Expert Expediter
ok there is only one guy i would really talk very highly of and this is mark at the pilot truck stop in lodi oh at the juntion of I-71
I-76 & 224 i have known mark now for about 8 months and in no way am i getting any thing from him in telling other drivers about him this guy is a real wonder with the CB and his little cigars always hanging out of his mouth i just happen to be the pilot truck one night and was telling him about the noise coming out of my general lee i got it out of my truck and wow now it works like you would not believe and he is very reasonable with his costs compare to other Cb shops actually next time i am in the lodi area i got to get my radio re tune again but only because i drop it the other week
wombat

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HEY THANKS ALOT GANG! I'M GOING TO MAKE A PRINT OUT OF ALL THIS INFO FOR LATER REFERENCE! JUST IN CASE I NEED IT, WHICH I'M SURE I WILL LATER ON! A COUPLE OF UPDATES I'D LIKE TO PASS ON THOUGH, 1. I'M NOT RECOMMENDING K-40 I THINK THEY DEAL A LITTLE UNDER HANDED, SEEMS THEY SOLD US A DEMO XM RADIO WITHOUT TELLING US, AND NOW WE'RE HAVING A TOUGH TIME GETTING IT ACTIVEATED CAUSE XM TECHS. SAY IT WAS LISTED AS A DEMO,THEY SAY THEY'RE WORKING ON GETTING IT TO WORK! (WE'LL SEE) ALSO IF YOUR NOT WATCHING REAL CLOSE THEY WILL ADD TO YOUR BILL WITH OUT ASKING YOU! MY ADVICE IS TO STAY AWAY FROM K-40 RADIO ON 14 MILE JUST EAST OF VAN :censoredsign:. P.S. THE TECH. THERE IS OK! THE SALES PEOPLE SUCK! HAVE A GOOD ONE! SHARP327:)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HI Sharp, & All you posters out there on this wonderfull day. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL and to all HAPPY TRAILS.

I just read your post about the XM being a demo. Do youself a favor and take it back. If for no other reason, then for GP. They should have never sold you that XM radio as a new one. That would be like going to buy a new truck that had ten or so drivers before you. If the people that have to activate it are telling you the XM radio is a demo, have them send you a copy of that. They can even put it in an email, then take the radio back to K40 and tell them you want your money back. Why risk it. That radio may give you problem from here on in.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
TEACEL! IF IT WASN'T FOR TODAY BEING THANKSGIVING I WOULD'VE ALREADY STUFFED THE RADIO, AND I DON'T MEAN IN A TURKEY,I FEEL LIKE YOU! IF IT'S NEW IT BETTER BE NEW AND IF IT'S USED YOU TAKE YOUR CHANCES.THE RADIO MAY NOT BE ALL THEY GET BACK! HAVE A GREAT DAY! LATER SHARP327:)