CB RADIO

Tinman

Expert Expediter
TINMAN

I need recommendations for a good CB radio, and antenna, etc. Made my first long trip to Texas last week, and sure could have used one. I'ver checked out the prices at truck stops, but aside from knowing that Cobra is a good name, I'm at a loss for selection. I have a cargo van, if antenna choice matters.
Thanks

Aviator

Expert Expediter
walmart has a pretty good Cobra one at their stores for around $79.00

I picked one up and it worked pretty well. Very clear, and good distance. To go with it, I bought two of the $19.00 Firestik antennas.

Aviator

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>TINMAN
>
>I need recommendations for a good CB radio, and antenna,
>etc. Made my first long trip to Texas last week, and sure
>could have used one. I'ver checked out the prices at truck
>stops, but aside from knowing that Cobra is a good name, I'm
>at a loss for selection. I have a cargo van, if antenna
>choice matters.
>Thanks

Tinman,

There are many, many radios out there, you can spend $300.00 or more, but the best bet, in my opinion, especially if you don't know a lot about them, is just to get a good solid, "mid range" radio.

My personal radio of choice is Cobra. I have a Cobra 29 that has served me well for over 5 years now. You can get them new for around $120-150 depending on the truckstop. You will need a good quality antenna tho. If you can, I would recomend a good base loaded antenna such as the Wilson 1000, or.. if you don't mind drilling the side of your van for a mounting bracket, a good 4 or 5 foot Francis fiberglass antenna works well for a van.

Dreamer

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Since all legal radios put out the same 4 watts, the antenna really makes the radio. Invest in a decent antenna and cable setup over a fancy radio. I use a Cobra 25 NW WX ST, many times on sale for under $115 at many truckstops. It's a nice little radio with a lot of features without going overboard.
-Weave-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As Weave stated the antenna really makes the radio, and that 25 is the over all best for it's price. A good antenna for the van is a mag mount Willson 1000, 2000 or 5000. Because of all that roof it makes for a very good ground.

Tinman

Expert Expediter
TINMAN
I finally purchased a CB a few days ago. It is the Cobra 29 NW WX ST, with a Wilson 38" whip antenna. I'm not sure if it is working correctly, since I don't get any answer when I ask for a radio check; and when I'm listening, I get very little airwave traffic. I have tested it on interstates in my area. Perhaps I need to go to a reliable CB shop, and have them "Professionaly" set it up for me.
Thanks for all the advice!

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Did you check the following?

SWR

Radio and antenna propely grounded

RF Gain knob (if you hav one) turn it fully c/clockwise

Best setting for reception is squelch on (this means you hear the rushing noise) just turn volume down.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
TINMAN, RF knob should go fully clockwise and squelch full c/closkwise, then slowly adjust your squelch till you are receiving well and it is not driving you nuts. Good luck

Tinman

Expert Expediter
TINMAN

Thanks for the advice. It does seem to be working properly. I am surprised to find that there isn't all that much traffic anlong our area of I29 and I35. But the weather channel is nice to have!

Bluesman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yeah, it's all about the antenna.. I have a Wilson 5000 center roof mounted, (ok drill a 3/4 inch hole in the roof, ouch, I know) but it is the quietest and best performing antenna I've tried, and I've tried a bunch..MUCH better and most important QUIETER than any other mount.. The voice of experience speaks.. lol. Another plus for a roof mount is ground. Nothing better than a metal to metal contact for reducing interference from engine, etc.. Also run a seperate hook-up line directly to the battery.. (Don't forget to install a fuse in the positive line at the battery).