CB antenna

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has anyone in a straight truck mounted their CB antenna(s) to the back of cab, between cab and box?
Does it affect reception?
I'm looking for a new mounting location.
Thanks
Greg

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver
I don't drive a straight truck, but anytime u put metal that close to the antenna you'll not only get poor reception but also mess ur SWR too. What's wrong where the antenna is now? If really want to put the antenna behind the cab, put it as high as u can.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Duel antenna on the side mirrors work best or on the front quarter panel.

I had duals on side mirrors on my last truck, worked just fine. On this new truck I was hoping to relocate it. I guess I'll just put it back on the side.
I have seen some tractors with the cb antenna on back of sleeper, but they have more space between the cab and trailer

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't drive a straight truck, but anytime u put metal that close to the antenna you'll not only get poor reception but also mess ur SWR too. What's wrong where the antenna is now? If really want to put the antenna behind the cab, put it as high as u can.

Thanks. That was my concerns as well.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you put it between the cab and box you would block the signal.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Best location is on the mirror brackets as far out as they will mount and not be a hazard. Mount them strait up pointing them slightly forward might gain a little but will increase the chances of breakage. Better bet is taller ideally but probably not realistically tall enough to clear the box by six to eight inches. Usually 48 inch glass whips are the best you will get and keep the wallet happy.

If reception is an issue try running a grounding wire from the antenna bracket to the cabs sheets metal. I had to do this with another truck. Also have the antennas and SWR balanced.

Be careful when it comes to mods like a swing or skip kits they might cause you to run over the legal wastage and you can have problems with the FCC. Peak and tune is usually not a bad idea if done by a good cb shop. Rule of thumb I go by is if the shop doesn't show and tell and disappears in the back room question if they actually do anything. At least have them prove before and after.

Good luck
Bob Wolf

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Best location is on the mirror brackets as far out as they will mount and not be a hazard. Mount them strait up pointing them slightly forward might gain a little but will increase the chances of breakage. Better bet is taller ideally but probably not realistically tall enough to clear the box by six to eight inches. Usually 48 inch glass whips are the best you will get and keep the wallet happy.

If reception is an issue try running a grounding wire from the antenna bracket to the cabs sheets metal. I had to do this with another truck. Also have the antennas and SWR balanced.

Be careful when it comes to mods like a swing or skip kits they might cause you to run over the legal wastage and you can have problems with the FCC. Peak and tune is usually not a bad idea if done by a good cb shop. Rule of thumb I go by is if the shop doesn't show and tell and disappears in the back room question if they actually do anything. At least have them prove before and after.

Good luck
Bob Wolf

I have always just used a barefoot 29. No mods. I barely use it, but when you need it, it is nice to have.
I had a wilson 5000 antenna, pointed slightly forward on my mirror bracket. Once you were rolling, the wind stood it straight. Every Firestick that I ever had didn't last very long. Broke a lot of them on tree limbs. The Wilson lasted the longest since it would flex more.
The only reason I was looking for a new location for mounting the antenna, was to keep tree limbs from breaking antenna off, again.