Catch 22

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
I know there may be no answer to my question, with the exception of we are S.O.L. Even so, I figured I'd ask to see if there was a way around this catch 22.

My husband and I are approaching our 1 year anniversary of doing this for a living, and I must say it has been the best year of our marriage. In our previous lives (I can hardly remember) we barely saw each other - 2 ships passing in the night. Now, if anything we are thinking of separate vacations! :D Just kidding.

The truth is, I didn't expect to like driving a truck at all - let alone love driving a truck. So, we started out driving for an owner, we went to WG training, and then on to TVal. Once you've gone TVal - you can never go back to boring old surface expedite (except to maybe relocate to a better area). Yes, we want our own TVal truck, but the way FedEx has it set up we could go through the additional expense to buy a TVal truck and never have a TVal space open up to get it certified - let alone certified just for WG.

So, here's the question . . . Is there a short-cut to getting a new truck into WG/TVal? Or, do you just have to sit in line and wait for somebody to die? :eek:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
First, it is great to hear that the two of you have taken a shine to the industry and the road. Good for you! Bravo!

Watch for a private message from me regarding your question.

SBBExpress

Seasoned Expediter
Try to find an owner selling out that has a truck in White Glove and TVAL. Shouldn't be too difficult with the way freight is going right now there will be a lot of us going out of business. The trick is to but a truck already in the fleet as long as the owner isn't going to put another on with FEDEX in it's place. A word of warning, We were in the same position, we drove for a long time owner for about a year and a half and made great money, we really fell in love with this industry. By mutual agreement decided to buy them out and go on our own. That it seems was a big mistake, we got a new truck number assigned to the same truck with the same drivers and goodby to the good loads and great pay. The only conclusion I can come up with is that newer truck numbers means rooky to them and they get the leftovers. I may (and probably am) be wrong but that is a real life observation as to what we experienced by going on our own. 3 years ago running for a long term owner the truck averaged about $4500.00 a week, not having to work super hard. 2009 so far... about $1500.00 a week and on the road twice as much. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the economy as well. My humble opinion... stay where you are, at least until the economy recovers a llittle and we see where expedited is going to end up. :confused:

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks SBBExpress, that's kind of what I thought. But, I think that the freight will pick up fairly soon and those that are positioned to survive the hard times, will be on the ready when the market comes back.

So, after 3 years has your load offers improved or are you still running $1500/wk. I ask, because from what I can tell, if you're willing to wait for the loads they are still there. You might sit longer to get them, but they're there.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Our numbers are ahead of last year but as we all know that might change tomorrow. Buying a truck already in the fleet does not insure you will be TVAL or even White Glove. When we went out on our own we bought a truck that was White Glove. We had been White Glove for 2 years with an owner. We had to wait over 4 months to get back into White Glove. It took a bit of "complaining" and the pushing from some at FedEx but we got in. We are now TVAL and everything else. That is what is keeping us rolling. Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As to truck numbers, ours got new numbers as soon as it changed hands. I think they always do. Layoutshooter