Cat C7 white smoke

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
What water temps is your engine running? If too cool, my quess is the white smoke condition is a symptom of your truck running too cold and the air inlet heater can't keep up. The above blog states "The air inlet heater also reduces white smoke when the engine is cold." You may not be reaching a needed operating temp to make the Cat sing on tune. That being said, the only time I had excessive white smoke was right before the HUEI pump failed, but it was a steady smoke bomb for about 30 miles and eventually quit two miles from the Cat dealer I was headed to.

I ran into an expediter in CA with 1.3 million on his C9 (mine 943,000 mi.s) and neither engine have been cracked open or heads off, only peripheral components replaced as expected. I think he sd he'd been thru 6 HUEI pumps, I'm on my 3rd, 1st went at 453k, 2nd went at 581. I have found Rotella full Synthetic tends to clog the injector tips. Changed to Dello full Synth and no more injector tip problems since. The Delo must burn with less carbon buildup. The one thing we both had in common was keeping the oil clean. I've been using the OPS bypass and running oil analysis.

Good luck, hopefully won't be too large of an expense. Let us know.

Deville

Not a Member
What water temps is your engine running? If too cool, my quess is the white smoke condition is a symptom of your truck running too cold and the air inlet heater can't keep up. The above blog states "The air inlet heater also reduces white smoke when the engine is cold." You may not be reaching a needed operating temp to make the Cat sing on tune. That being said, the only time I had excessive white smoke was right before the HUEI pump failed, but it was a steady smoke bomb for about 30 miles and eventually quit two miles from the Cat dealer I was headed to.

I ran into an expediter in CA with 1.3 million on his C9 (mine 943,000 mi.s) and neither engine have been cracked open or heads off, only peripheral components replaced as expected. I think he sd he'd been thru 6 HUEI pumps, I'm on my 3rd, 1st went at 453k, 2nd went at 581. I have found Rotella full Synthetic tends to clog the injector tips. Changed to Dello full Synth and no more injector tip problems since. The Delo must burn with less carbon buildup. The one thing we both had in common was keeping the oil clean. I've been using the OPS bypass and running oil analysis.

Good luck, hopefully won't be too large of an expense. Let us know.

I haven't blown out my HUEI pump yet (Say's a pray) however, you may be on to somthing with the oil. I ran Rottella for a while because it's suppossed to have more viscosity, but the truck wouldn't always feel right.

I started useing Delo & it runs much better, but now I have to change the oil earlier. I try to get it changd every 3 months or 7500-8000 miles. I was burning oil when I used Rottella, about 2-3 quarts over a 5000 to 6000 mile period.

With Delo, i'm not burning oil. I didn't have to top off.

I say this with some confidence because I have alternated between Delo & Rottella the past 4 oil changes.

I have almost 575,000 miles on my CAT. I get about 10-15 seconds of smoke on a cold start up or if I have a hard time starting it. The truck has always given me a hard time starting up year round in the morning. I get an IAC injector code. When it's pluged in no issues starting & very little smoke.

Last edited:

kamilski

Active Expediter
So I picked up my truck today. My mechanic has changed thermostats. He looked over a bunch of things and pressure tested the heui pump and the pump itself runs perfectly fine.
I'll be honest. My mechanic is great and solid for things that don't involve electrics and a laptop. As much as he can do he does everything really well. I just feel like this is something that absolutely has to be hooked up to the laptop. Maybe a cut out test or something?!!?!
After the thermostats have been changed my truck runs significantly better and the temperature holds around 185 or so.
It still will smoke after idling for 10 minutes at first but won't do it after that.
I've driven 2 different freightliner m2 with cats including mine, and they all seem to be a bit turtle like first 3 geers and just run plain weird...
That being said I am going to try to find myself a mechanic with cat et and who knows these engines who doesn't charge $135/hr in the Chicago area.
I am waiting for a call back from a buddy of mine who might get me a number to a guy who allegedly worked at a cat dealer for 11 years but we will see.

moose

Veteran Expediter
O.K, haven't been here for a few days, but i hate to state to obvious.
if your cat running with white smoke coming out of his a$$- it might be a good idea to take him to the vet...