CAT 3126

jax7

Expert Expediter
I HAVE A QUESTION? I KNOW THE CAT 3126 IS NOT ALL THAT GREAT, AND REPLACEMENT COST IS PRETTY HIGH, BUT I WAS WANDERING IF I HAVE A CAT 3126 6 SPEED EATON, AND IF/WHEN THE ENGINE GOES, COULD I REPLACE IT WITH A DIFFERENT MOTER THAT WILL MATCH THE TRANS? AND IF YES, WHAT KIND AND WHAT WOULD IT COST FOR ENGINE PARTS&LABOR?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, you CAN, but you won't be able to afford it. Say you wanted to swap the 3126 to a Cummins ISC. First off, you'll need a complete ISC off an FL70, one with all the accessories (alt, A/C pump, air pump, etc) and brackets. Unless you want to buy all that stuff, that would limit you to a used ISC out of a wrecked truck. Now for the modifications: Air lines, fuel lines, steering pump lines, exhaust, cooling system, A/C system, air intake system, chassis electricals (you'll need the whole fuse panel off the wrecked truck because a lot of the stuff in there differs between engines, and I think the dash switches and the cruise systems differ too), among many other little things. I have never known anyone who has tried to tackle this feat. When the 3126 goes, you just get another 3126.
-Weave-