CAT 3126 vs. 3126B Anything better or new?

Road Dog

Expert Expediter
Hi guys, seeing that the expedite market seems to be coming around, I'm considering making the plunge and purchasing a 2001 Acterra with a Cat 3126B. Now, having read the many, many, many posts deriding the 3126 I have to wonder what the difference is. Of course I was told by the dealer that the "B" means that Cat has resolved "issues" with the 3126 motor and made adjustments. So guys.....anyone know any real difference between the two?
;-)

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The simple answer to your question is NO. There does not appear to be enough difference in the 3126B to make me change my opinion of this engine. I believe that the engine is to small to be used for expediting. I also understand that the engine is not rebuildable, and you will have to replace it when it goes. It also means that when you try to sell a truck with 300,000+ miles on it, any knowledgable buyer is going to offer a lot less because of the engine. The upfront cost for a truck with this engine will be less, but the long term maintenance and depreciation will be more. I recently drove to Deleware with my 98 Freightliner FL70 (3126 Cat - 390,000 miles). I reached the top of several mountains at 35 mph and an engine that was getting hot. I only had 5,000 lbs of cargo. This engine just doesn't have enough horses.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No, the B does not mean "better." It only refers to newer 3126's with updated emissions specs. It still sucks. Just look at the post ahead of this and take it from a man who owns one.
I'll take it this is one of Dan Tilley's Acterra's you are considering. Low enough new truck price, but you will probably want to finance the truck for close to 5 yrs, plus run it and depreciate it for 5 yrs. Say you average loaded plus D-H 100k miles a year. Is the 3126 warranteed that long? I haven't heard of too many lasting that long so probably not. If you buy it you better budget around $15k for an engine replacement somewhere along the line. That's what they cost.
Tilley probably spec'ed those trucks with the 3126 to keep the price down. I have found on the web the Acterra is available with much better engines from Cummins and Mercedes (The MBE engine is now part of Diamler/Chrysler's Detroit Diesel Division.) A nice Cummins ISC 8.3 is only around a $2k option in the Acterra, and these engines can make it to half a million plus have the performance the 3126 doesn't. Which is cheaper? $2k up front or $15k 3 years down the road? Jeff Jones of Ft Wayne Kenworth will not build another KW T300 with a 3126 due to the problems and complaints about it.
If you want an Acterra (It does look to be a step up from an FL70) I would have Mr. Tilley order you a chassis with Cummins or MBE power for the little extra cost. The wait would be worth it.
-Weave-
I forgot to mention the 3126 doesn't put up the best fuel mileage figures either.

Road Dog

Expert Expediter
Thanks Weave and Larry for the info. Weave, you hit it right on the head w/ the Dan Tilley reference. I will definitely stay away from any truck equipped with the Cat 3126(B). I had a feeling what I was being told by the dealer didn't add up. :)

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'll add to the cat engine sucks club. My 2000 FL70 had a cat 3126B and was just turning 104000 before I lost it to the bank. It lost its power after around 75000 so going up hills on the east coast was slow. This of course with a 7000 pound load. Also smoke bad after long idle periods. The 3126 is on the "E" (3126E) model but still wouldn't get another if it was given to me. My suggestion to you would be to get one with the cummings engine. I believe they are wet sleaved so are rebuildable when time comes around. If you could afford a class 8 truck, you would be better off with these as they will last you allot longer than a class 7 truck. Also a better ride. Good luck on whatever you choose.
Randy:)