Cargo Vans.

brewster1958

Expert Expediter
Just my luck. Got a great job waiting for me to get my own van, and no one will finance me. As of today, I have been working on getting a van, for two months now. Seems that no one will finance anyone, with bruised credit. Oh well, at least I have a job. Hope the best to you all. Brewster.

starbryte

Expert Expediter
I run a dodge 1500 half ton cargo van 1999 and a 92 ford e350. the ford handles a 1000 per cent better has better ergonomics is easier to get into and out of .. the ford is so much better than the dodge that i can drive it a 1000 with fatique egual to a 400 mile run in the dodge.. Its a relief and a pleasure evrytime i leave the dodge and get into the ford.manning

E7mack96

Expert Expediter
on the sprinter,

I paid 25,700 for mine.

That was with the aux heater, and it is the 2500 series, 140" wheelbase.

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
There are a lot of Transit vans (Ford of Europe) driving around Dearborn Mi. When I asked the engineer who was driving it if Ford plans to bring it to the States for resale he said that there is a large intrest from Ford to do just that. It looks just like the sprinter. It would be nice to have the competion between Ford and Dodge.

Dervish

Expert Expediter
Weave, and all who care to comment. I too am trying to make a decision about what Van to buy. I plan to go on the road as a co-driver for a few months and then decide what to buy. Comfort, reliability and profitability are all important to me. Talking to the local ford dealer last week a couple of points came up:
$1200,00 from Ford to install add ons and "if you buy this now" $4 K in rebates for 2003 E350 Cargo Vans. Total price $28K
Also word of plans to drop the 7.5 and install a smaller version. Any comment on the "new" engine? Whatever you can ad to the information base will help. Thanks Dervish

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, the tried and true International T444 7.3L will be replaced by a smaller 6.0L powerstroke. As they hype it up, it is suppose to be lighter, more powerful, and have less emissions than the 7.3. It is again built in conjunction with International, and will hopefully have the longevity the 7.3 has been noted for. But you know how that goes:eek: (Don't build them like they used to)
-Weave-

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi Everyone,

Couple of items on the new diesel...

Ford is having some issues with the 6.0 running in E-vans...they don't have firm delivery dates for 04 units as of yet. They have linked this with their 5-speed Torqshift trans...I think the van adaption is giving them issues

The unit had some injector issues on the initial production runs for the pickups and medium duty trucks when they introduced the units in 2003...later runs on the engine have had the problem corrected.

The new engine is an awesome power plant.....it pumps out a ton of torque...and accelerates like a gas V-8...

They are also using a taller gears for the rear 4.10 and 4.56 for the E-450's...are standard...this will most likely sacrifice some fuel economy.....but it may be just slight increase in fuel usage..

I sell all brands...however by far we sell more E-vans than Chevy's or GMC's.....My gut feeling is buy the Ford if you are plumber or an electrician..and don't drive highway ...The Chevy and GMC vans handle and ride much better on the highway...

Thanks,

Tazman :)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Unfortunately GM's diesel offerings have always sucked compared to the Navistar/Ford engines in just about every way, and Ford's auto trannies and drivetrains have not met the reliability of GM's.
Ford's new 5 speed auto (Have one in my personal pickup) is built in France, and so far I am happy with it, but it looks aweful small to handle the torque needed for a heavy duty highway expedite van. The old 3 speed GM TH350/400 auto's should be brought back for heavy duty applications, as they were real hard to destroy. Maybe I'm getting to be too "Old School" for this modern disposable garbage??
-Weave-
...The world of metal is now injection molded plastic.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Ok ladies & gents;
Sprinter van 158" will hold 4 pallets. 13' between seats and rear doors.
This is how I am going to try and set mine up.:
power pkg., ac,dual hd battery's, 150 amp alternator

rear back up alarm, overhead storage rack, (as shown on mercedes site), double rows of e track on walls & floor, custom bulkhead with fold down bunk.
Turbo 3000 d veda, gulf coast bypass oil filter, centramatic wheel balance system. 245/75/16 tires...e rated
Spray foam entire rear inside of truck. then 3/4" flooring.

hopeing that alumi bunk can build this way for me. will let you all know the prices.:)

Dervish

Expert Expediter
Thanks for all the comments regarding "best cargo Vans" still thinking about it but moving close to the Ford E350 Van with the new 6.0 diesel and a ABC 15' box . Anyone have any thoughts about this unit for Expediting? Thanks, Dervish

scotty

Seasoned Expediter
>Thanks for all the comments regarding "best cargo Vans"
>still thinking about it but moving close to the Ford E350
>Van with the new 6.0 diesel and a ABC 15' box . Anyone
>have any thoughts about this unit for Expediting? Thanks,
>Dervish
:( it's a pretty good concept ,but you'll be over the 10,000 gvw and subject to logs scales and other sundry oddities of the trucking industries,and the first reason that cargo vans are so popular is the freedom of the DOT. Scotty.