Cargo Van

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depends on the carrier and what your expectations are as to how much money you need to make. If you're ok with 400-600 a week after fuel then it would work. If you need more then it would be best to get your own truck. If you don't have the funds then working for someone is the way to go until you have the means to get your own Sprinter :)

brohammerllc

Expert Expediter
I have to agree that it is a bad time to try and make it with a cargo van. Just think--Ford and Dodge don't make them any longer, and Chevy/GMC are about to quit.

Shippers are now looking for the SPRINTER type vans. They now want the height, and in some cases, the width that these vehicles are offering. Yes, there are loads out there that fit into cargo vans, but they are becoming fewer and fewer.

If you still want a vehicle that does not required a CDL, one option to consider is a cut-away with a box on the back. Usually cheaper than a SPRINTER type, but still a nice vehicle. Consider buying a used one from one of the fleets/rental companies. Usually well maintained and not a lot of mileage. The height of the vehicle works to your advantage.

However, don't fall in with the "cube van crowd". We all know who I am talking about--those carriers that only hire the foreign drivers who live in the trucks, who undercut the rates to keep the vehicles driving. Be professional, keep the vehicle neat and clean, and just as important, keep yourself "neat and clean". You'll be able to make it.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're gonna do a cargo van, do it as an owner-operator. Driving for somebody else in the vans splits an already small pie.

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Lol the "foreign " drivers demand the most money actually the domestic people:D actually drive for cheap!

Say no to cheap loads!!!!

Yolo

Not a Member
Isn't the sprinter market oversaturated? Do sprinter fleet drivers do well? Do sprinter owner operators do well?

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Depends how hungry your dispatch is :) I would say sprinters do ok , not well... Used to be good few years ago when there were not much on the road ...

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depends how hungry your dispatch is :) I would say sprinters do ok , not well... Used to be good few years ago when there were not much on the road ...

Sprinters will come and go, general rule of thumb is to stay i35 and over. We used to run nationwide but now we stay i25 and over to the east. The determined and those willing to keep themselves in good freight area will do ok. I have two sprinters. I know I'm not going to get rich but at the end of the day I know that slow and steady wins the race and I have minimal $ invested. You make less when you invest less just like anything else in life. In the meantime there is always a job at the end of a bad month or week to keep your head up and keep going in this business which continues to keep the lights on and the dream alive. ;)