CARGO VAN RATES

tillettbiz

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi,

My Nissan Cargo Van and an owner-operator and located in California. I recently just started expediting and I wanted to know what are the rates for Cargo Vans traveling locally and to other states?

Also, which would make more profit expediting or contracting with companies like Amazon and delivering packaging?

I am trying to determine which is the best option for my cargo van.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have you called any of the companies that you mentioned to get pay information as well as talked to any of their drivers for the information that you seek?

tillettbiz

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Have you called any of the companies that you mentioned to get pay information as well as talked to any of their drivers for the information that you se
Yes, we have. I just thought that there was a standard rate for cargo vans that are used. I haven't met any other drivers to get insight. This is one of the reasons why I joined the forum to help ensure I am successful in this field. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are so many companies paying in different ways, using their own formulas. I prefer leasing onto a percentage pay carrier Reason being is, say a carrier charges a customer $500.00 for a 10 mile run. Say you are contracted to get 70% of what the linehaul pay is.. that could work out pretty good to your advantage. Now say you are paid on average per mile basis..the carrier blows sunshine up your butt and pays you 100 bucks...you are on cloud nine, all happy....when in all reality, they are still making a killing...please keep in mind, that the carrier needs to make money, as they have way more expenses than we do..and make sure that they, the carrier, pays you 100% of the fuel surcharge. After all, who pays for the fuel?? There are some carriers that keep some of that fuel surcharge owed to you.... One thing to pay attention to is the amount of ways and things that some carriers may charge you for. There are some carriers that make their money off of the driver in the form of ludicrous fees instead of the load. I've worked for a few years ago. Just be careful and do extensive research. Talk to as many drivers as possible. Take notes. But do not expose the information to those carriers of what their driver told you. Be patient and understanding of the driver sharing information with you. They may still be possed off because they just filled the van up costing them 100 bucks. Let them vent and cool down. I find that 10 minutes of releasing their frustration goes a long way. I hope this helps. Sorry for being long winded. Being Italian, it's in my DNA. ..LOL