Cargo Van Questions?

wayneg26

Seasoned Expediter
Do you have to log with a cargo van ? I will be in a B unit for Tri-State it is a non extended cargo van

wayneg26

Seasoned Expediter
The deal is I am getting paid 60% Load + 100% FSC My monthly bills are about 600.00 a month will I be able to make it out there to pay my bills?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Start looking for an owner with an extended van or sprinter available. Not just so you can accept more loads but also for the comfort factor. I started in a non ext. too and learned real fast I would be better off to move to something with more space. It will be a good start though you can learn as you go. Comfort is a bid factor on in how long you can stay out which in turns means how much you make.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
The deal is I am getting paid 60% Load + 100% FSC My monthly bills are about 600.00 a month will I be able to make it out there to pay my bills?

Pay your bills , yes but I don't know about eating . 60% of what many cargo van owners get isn't much more than what a company driver gets . Then you pay fuel out of that . Say you get 15 mpg and you go 150 miles . You use 10 gallons . At $3 a gallon you're spending $.20 a mile on fuel putting you way below company driver pay . FSC's ? It's a sad fact rather than give preferred shippers a reduced linehaul rate carriers will give them a discounted FSC .
However , since the FSC nationally is calculated on a vehcle getting about 6 m.p.g. a vehicle getting better mpg will benefit . Current FSC for $3 a gllon is $.46 per mile .
Lorenzo International Inc. : Diesel Fuel Surcharge Schedule - Lorenzo International Inc. - Professional Transportation Services - MC #312884
I really doubt carriers pay cargo vans that amount

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Our van fsc is 12.33 cpm on all dispatched miles. That's every mile from current layover to the shipper, every loaded mile, and every mile from the consignee to the next layover location provided we're going to the locations they suggest. If we choose our own there's no fsc for that leg. It's calculated on 15mpg and diesel fuel so if you run a gasoline van at 17 mpg you come out ahead on both price and mileage. Fuel is never free but it isn't 20 cents a mile either for a van, at least not under dispatch.

Last edited: