Cargo Van Questions

Jim2029

Seasoned Expediter
I would move as I want out of Michigan.... But like anything else, that takes moeny. I just want to see if I understnd FSC.... here is part of a driver wanted ad I seen.... ..."We pay 60% of gross to the driver plus 100% fuel surcharge. Driver is responsible for fuel and tolls. Paid weekly...." So if I understand right, the driver py for the fuel up front then get reimbursed when he is paided then, right?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would move as I want out of Michigan.... But like anything else, that takes moeny. I just want to see if I understnd FSC.... here is part of a driver wanted ad I seen.... ..."We pay 60% of gross to the driver plus 100% fuel surcharge. Driver is responsible for fuel and tolls. Paid weekly...." So if I understand right, the driver py for the fuel up front then get reimbursed when he is paided then, right?

If the load is worth $1,000 you would get 60% or $600
FSC might be $200 .....so thats $600.00 + $200.00 for a total of $800.00 paid to you.

Now subtract any fuel and tolls and YOU get the rest.

Last edited:

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter

Driver is resposible for fuel and tolls does not sound like you will get re-imbursed to me. And like it says in the previous post, if FSC comes out to 200 bucks, then that is what you get for fuel.

In my case sometimes the FSC pays for the fuel. Most times it covers part of it. This way it is up to me to be fuel efficient.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Driver is resposible for fuel and tolls does not sound like you will get re-imbursed to me. And like it says in the previous post, if FSC comes out to 200 bucks, then that is what you get for fuel.

In my case sometimes the FSC pays for the fuel. Most times it covers part of it. This way it is up to me to be fuel efficient.

Dave at .20/ mile FSC by my calcs..at $4 a gallon ya gotta make 22mpg to break even on actual fuel costs

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
It was my understanding you don't need a CDL for anything up to 26K, or does that vary by state? Its that way in WA anyway.

That's what I thought too, as long as you're under 26001 and you don't haul hazmat, no CDL required?
Thought the 10,000 thing was for logging?
Am I confused again?:confused:

That said tho, doesn't mean the carrier won't require a CDL anyway, but.. why don't you go stay with your aunt for a bit? If you don't need one to drive under 26001#s, you could be a driver in a C-Unit Straight Truck too, I think?

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Dave at .20/ mile FSC by my calcs..at $4 a gallon ya gotta make 22mpg to break even on actual fuel costs

Well, I have never gotten 22 mpg yet, though I did get 21 mpg on one trip. I usually average about 18.5 mpg, and often get 28 per cent FSC.

That is 28 per cent of what the load pays which for me is usually 80 cpm sometimes 90 cpm, and surprisingly much more.

Last edited:

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
one more reason to leave michigan. I happen to like michigan but it is kind of like a beautiful dumb blonde...nice cage but where's the bird?

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
one more reason to leave michigan. I happen to like michigan but it is kind of like a beautiful dumb blonde...nice cage but where's the bird?

What is one more reason to leave Michigan? Are you saying the state is like a dumb blond in your analogy? And where is the bird?

Do you not like Michigan? I see you are a buckeye fan.

It is hard to read moods in print, so let me state. I am just asking questions. I don't have OhowIhateOhiostate bumper stickers or anything.

Just curious. :D

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter
I would fine something else to do, but I have been doing odd jobs since being layed off from an automotive plant in 7/2006... there is no work in Michigan and I can't keeping doing odd jobs to get by... I figured this would be a good move for me, as i ahve nothing here to tie me down (Single, I don't own a house...) I can be out for very long peroids of time.

I did it for 4 yrs. Made good money at it. I didn't have the overhead of a vehicle payment. Paid cash for 2002 E-350 Diesel extended. But in 2006 when fuel was at $3.25 van was getting old .I deceided to give it up and go home to my wife. Have one more year until I can retire again. If I can talk my wife itto it and she will go with me. I may try thestraight truck route this time. YES YOU CAN MAKE MONEY IN A VAN.