Cargo Van Load Weight

Detmike208

Seasoned Expediter
Can anyone who has been around for more than 6 months give me an idea of what they think their average weight per load has been? I'm specifically referring to Cargo Vans . Thanks

Last edited:

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
I don't think the average will do you much good, but I'll try. Maybe 500 lbs. If your carrier gets a lot of auto or machined parts loads it might be more. You would be surprised how many times you'll get a 15lb package load, put it on the seat next to you and go 700 miles. I remember one week I could have expedited in a Ford Pinto.
The load planner/dispatcher is suppose to be aware of your load limits and not give you loads that challange your capacity. However, because you don't have to scale, it is common to overload cargo vans. Just because you are classified as under 10,001 lbs doesn't mean you can legally carry 10,000lbs. Your curb weight, plus fuel, you and your gear, subtracted from your veichles GVWR ( gross veichle weight rating) is what you can legally haul. You can use a truck stop scale to establish your total curb weight.
This is more info than you requsted, but you, or others new to expediting may find it useful.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Average? I'm guessing about 700-800#.
I've hauled as little as a 3 ounce envelope of labels about 500 miles.
Or a 5 pound box of fasteners from Laredo to Smyrna, TN (1100 miles).
I was also "surprised" by an underestimated mold from El Paso to Portage, MI last summer. I should have refused it at the shipper but I was dying to get out of there. SLOW drive all the way. 3875# mistake for 1650 miles.
Won't do that again.

javanutt68

Rookie Expediter
Well I have a Ford E350 cargo van & my max weight is like 3000 lbs. According to my specs I can do more but won't. Hope that helps. Also you can google the specs for your type of vehicle. Hope that helps

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I can count all the 3,000 lb loads I've had in three years on one hand and not use all of my fingers. Mostly, under 1,000-- and a whole lot of those are under 100 lbs.

You want at least a 2500-series van in this business, if you have or can get a 3500-series van so much the better because that gives you more cushion for the occasional heavy load.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was also "surprised" by an underestimated mold from El Paso to Portage, MI last summer. I should have refused it at the shipper but I was dying to get out of there. SLOW drive all the way. 3875# mistake for 1650 miles.
Won't do that again.

I got tricked once... they said 3000, but it was 5000. A short run... from Alabama to El Paso.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
there is no way I'd have 5,000 lbs on and not know it..the tranny would be screaming to upshift on the first on ramp....even on my old Dodge Ram van it knew when there was 4,000 lbs......

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, mine drives "heavy" over about 2500#. When I approach 3K I really have to "manage" hills and shifting more. Certainly not difficult but requires even more attention.

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
When I was still in the business, I would run from Monroe, Mi to Flint, Mi a coupled times a week in my E250. The load was always 2,800 lbs, and had no problems with it. I did have a 4,000 lb load once from Petersburg, Mi to st. Mary, Oh. Very, very scarey. The tires were ballooning out, I was very lucky. When I called it into the dispatcher, she acted like she didn't know it was that heavy. She was the one of the main reasons I left the business.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A heavy-duty 250/2500 will handle 2,850 without straining too bad-- it's just within limits.

4,000 and up is pushing it for most vans. I'm not sure the 3500 series vans can handle that and be within limits. Maybe, maybe not-- but it gets tight. Above 5,000-- get a straight.