Canada cargo van and Scales

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I wonder if the MTO knows. If that is true about the Sprinter I guess they will not sell many in Canada. And wise U.S. owners will not go up there with them. Unless they want to pay the fee and deal with all the nonsense. for those extra 70 lbs.:rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is good that P2 paid the tickets since it is safeties job to know all the rules of an area they operate in....:D

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Yea it was luck I guess, they could of easily made me pay them. I just wonder how much they got hit for?? Of course this was 7 years ago when Panther was under "what I think" was better management. nowadays if this had happened I don't know what Panther would do:eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
comet is correct

just checked the dodge website the 2009 long and tall "big boy" still comes in at 8550 gvw so no worries:D

that doesn't make much sense...but the facts are facts...man that means you prolly can't make 2,000 lbs legally.....the thing must be 500 lbs heavier then my 2005....

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
I can get about 1,600lbs in my 2500 sprinter van...........I got to get a new phone ever 3 months with all the calls I get .......ha,ha,ha.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can get about 1,600lbs in my 2500 sprinter van...........I got to get a new phone ever 3 months with all the calls I get .......ha,ha,ha.

another member here is currently removing the passenger seat and any and all particle board and replaced it with plywood....expects to get up to almost 2,000lbs...

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
The smallest dually is rated at 9990.

Back in the old day, if you wanted a dually, you could get a kit. The kit had a spacer to space the wheels out from the body. Is there a spacer made to space Sprinter wheels out? So the wheel wells can be made to have more room between them.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
yup ovm is talking about me i have the passinger seat out but got a run before i could remove the press board and replace it with plywood.

moose

Veteran Expediter

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you move the tires and rims out on a full floater axle (which the 3500 Sprinter has) you will increase the load on the outer wheel bearing by quite a large factor and it will be at risk for failure. Something to think about before you go to any expense to do this and move the wheel wells out.

These types of problems were encountered on the first adaptations of wide base single tires on the big trucks and trailers. Most used a rim that had an offset that was 2 inches further out than the stock dual pairing. The result was a lot of fried outer wheel bearings on trailers and fairly quickly, a letter from the tire company re issuing their original warning about bearing loading and making sure the axles could handle it.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Anyone make a tire super single tire to replace the duals on a sprinter?

That's a real shame the wheel wells can't be adjusted a couple of inches.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Piper...since the 08's are North American wide now...isn't the 3500 now at least 48" between the wells now?

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
A cvor is $250/yr??? Never paid for mine! Website says it's $5 for a replacement if I lose this one. But Quebec does let you run through on a cvor now (supposedly).
4500kg seems to be the weight for all provinces for scaling. This why many of the rentals have 4500kg weight limit on some of their cubes. Limits weight carried but keeps renters out of scales and the hassles involved (can you imagine some yah-hoo renter arguing with the scale boys about being overweight).
Rob

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Here's the link to MTO Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration (CVOR): What's New Looks like 250.00 to get it then 50.00 a year to renew after first 2 years. This is for trucks above 4500kg of course. I did not see 5.00 anywhere listed on this official site. You might have a non-expiring one you may want to check the link out cause they have changed the rule making all CVOR's have a expire date.

From the site: Operators will be sent a notice of expiry 60 days prior to expiry (90 days during the transition period). A carrier that does not renew prior to the expiry date is liable to a fine and possibly to imprisonment, OH MY IMPRISONMENT:eek:

Renewal of your CVOR Certificate

Starting December 1, 2008 all CVOR certificates will be assigned an expiry date. For Issuance of ORIGINAL CVOR Certificates - $250.00

REMEMBER THIS IS FOR TRUCKS OVER 4500KG "9920 LBS" GVW, EVERYONE IN A VAN WILL NOT NEED THIS BUT THOSE IN A CUBE VAN OR LARGER WILL NEED IT:D

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You will get a notice from the MTO soon Rob stating you will need a new expiring CVOR certificate. They are not making people re-apply but Uncle Dalton wants your money.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
ovm.....

-
Cargo area dimensions:
length (inches): 185.0,
front width (inches): 70.1,
width between arches (inches): 38.5,
height (inches): 76.4 and
loading floor height (inches): 30.9