Cargo Van Advice tips anything

freightjosh

Rookie Expediter
I was wondering if I could get everyone's take on Cargo Vans. I am thinking about becoming an Owner Operator. I have drove straight truck OTR for the last 6 months. Truck Owner was kinda sketchy and fly by night. Any advice or Tips or anything would be a great help.
Thanks,

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Get the biggest and newest that you can afford, the closer you can come to paying for it cash the better. You will be living in this machine, so get it insulated. I use 3/4 inch foamboard, truth is I should have gone 1-1/2 inch. Get a good heater, winters can be brutal and you'll find that running the engine to keep warm doesn't work as well as one might have hoped. Everybody here swears by Espar heaters, with Webasto coming in a close second.

I drive a Chevy standard-length 2500 heavy, it has the 8600 GVWR. It's about the smallest, lightest weight that should be even considered, next time around if God allows I should consider the 3500 extended van. The heavier capacity would allow for a bit of leeway in terms of what I can put in and still have suitable weight limits, and the extra 18 inches or so can be a godsend when you have to store your stuff and find room for large freight.

Get used to the idea that you'll do more "standing by". There's not as much van freight as there is straight-truck freight, and because it's easier to get into this field in a van there's a lot more vans competing for the freight.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I was wondering if I could get everyone's take on Cargo Vans. I am thinking about becoming an Owner Operator. I have drove straight truck OTR for the last 6 months. Truck Owner was kinda sketchy and fly by night. Any advice or Tips or anything would be a great help.
Thanks,

My two cents is I want to drive when I am working till empty and return home and I don't want to have to pay someone to ride because of this thing called a log book. that alone tilts the scale toward cargo vans.load offers for cargo vans are fewer and further between when compared to straights and the competition is ruthless. I have already worked all I am going to for this month a total of 60 hours away from home grossed $2200 and of that 60 hours I was never away from home for more than a 24hr period. actual cost for my van to operate this month was 23.50 per hour.so for my time spent away from home only really got to keep 13.16 for each hour worked. but thats after all the bills for the month was paid.point is I am lazy dont care to drive in ice and snow or -30 wind chills would rather just cover bills and spend the winter in a warm house with food. sit at home wait for a $2+ per loaded mile load to pop up. when it happens I run

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Thanks,

There's ALWAYS a high demand for straight truck owner operators. If you ask most carriers - currently, there's an over-saturation of vans. I would look hard and fast at the numbers and opportunities first before making a decision.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Stay in a CV. There's all the straights out we that we need. We'll just step up the pace as needed. ;)

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Funny :) A sprinter driver told me today he wants to get into the straight. It's the slow time of the year. Shop at Wal-Mart and ride out the storm, lol :)

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Funny :) A sprinter driver told me today he wants to get into the straight. It's the slow time of the year. Shop at Wal-Mart and ride out the storm, lol :)

Lol I'm not a sprinter driver anymore but I want into a straight. Like so I'll be in something that is insulated and has a tv

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol I'm not a sprinter driver anymore but I want into a straight. Like so I'll be in something that is insulated and has a tv

Great! But don't forget to shop at Walmart and watch your budget, lol :):)

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
There's ALWAYS a high demand for straight truck owner operators. If you ask most carriers - currently, there's an over-saturation of vans. I would look hard and fast at the numbers and opportunities first before making a decision.

Bueller? Bueller?

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Get used to the idea that you'll do more "standing by". There's not as much van freight as there is straight-truck freight, and because it's easier to get into this field in a van there's a lot more vans competing for the freight.

Yup. Drove both, and wouldn't mind ST solo. More freight and comfort, but there's a trade off I favored for vanning.......freedom.

You can make a van pretty dern comfortable, not log, and run it just about anywhere you would a car. Sit a lot, yes. Run a lot, at times. Freedom vs money? I'll take the freedom. Younger days, hungry for money, and family to support, it's ST.......S-O-L-O.