cargo van accessories

Tomboy

Expert Expediter
Could someone please tell me what accessories I am going to need in a one ton extended cargo van? How many straps should I have, do I need a pallet puller? And what exactly is e-track? How many padded blankets should I have? Any help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has advice on which creature comforts to have that would be appreciated, also.

Thanks,
Tomboy

Gypsy

Expert Expediter
Yes you do need a pallet puller. I've got one and it's free if you buy my truck. Look under the classified ads here on EO. 2002 Ford E350 Extended one ton cargo van. $22,000 or best offer. Also has XM Radio. Thanks John Quigley.

RobZip

Expert Expediter
E track is a metal rail with slots spaced about 1 1/2 inches apart. The slots are used to lock ends of cargo straps into. A typical 1 ton van will have 2 e tracks running full length on the floor of the cargo area and 1 rail attached to each sidewall of the box area.

Normally 4 cargo straps are about all you could ever possibly use at one time.

Padded blankets should be large enough to drape over a standard size pallet loaded 48 inches high and reach the floor all the way around. Probably 4 of those would be enough.

A pallet puller is a good idea for sure. With heavier loads you will want to shove even a single pallet as far foward between the wheels as it will go. This is usually beyond the reach of most fork lifts when its time to unload.

Creature comfort will be a limited commodity in a cargo van. One thing I would suggest is to keep a jug of drinking water with you. Long exposure to the vehicle's cliamate controls, whether air conditioning or heat will produce dehydration. Its also nice to have fresh water you can trust to brush your teeth with.

I've grown leery of using the water in truck stops for consumption or even brushing teeth, especially in some of the more rural locations. A lot of those places are on wells with the possibility of microbe and bacterial contamination. Better to stop by a grocery store and buy a gallon of bottled water.

Tomboy

Expert Expediter
Thanks very much to all who responded, I appreciate the help. I went shopping for a van today and found some with e-trak, but most without. Trying to budget for all the goodies, all the advice is welcomed, especially about the water. Great idea.

Thanks again.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
i would suggest your van have speed control,and make sure it isnt an add on or aftermarket.I think its a must,in good weather on level ground it helps my fuel mileage and keeps me from speeding.