Cargo Trailer

Davidrm92

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello just curious on peoples thoughts on pulling a 20”ft cargo trailer over the road to haul general freight pallets vs buying a 20ft flatbed trailer

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Fyi you will be considered a class A cdl driver if you drive and pull anything over 26k total weight.....that's with the truck and trailer and freight combined.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Correct me if I am wrong, but Regardless of gvw, if he is pulling a trailer for Commercial purposes, that will make him a combination unit, requiring logs and scales, hos, etc..

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I researched expediting I considered a Freightliner Argosy and a 28' pup. Two more floor spots than a 40' straight truck. Somewhat shorter overall length than a 40'. Much better turning radius and maneuverability than a 40'. Several tons higher load capacity than a 40'. Couldn't get traction with carriers though. So I went with a 40' straight truck.

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
When I researched expediting I considered a Freightliner Argosy and a 28' pup. Two more floor spots than a 40' straight truck. Somewhat shorter overall length than a 40'. Much better turning radius and maneuverability than a 40'. Several tons higher load capacity than a 40'. Couldn't get traction with carriers though. So I went with a 40' straight truck.
Hos is the same yet you could haul MORE and be more maneuverable

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Higher cost per mile.
Not really because you can choose which tractor to buy and use vs build a straight truck to fill the need.
A straight truck can haul what like 5k to 6k where a 28 foot pup trailer can haul 22k so I see more chances to get a load out of a area.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My straight truck could take about 11k so about half what the combo would have taken. The extra weight capability plus two additional floor spots should have meant a lot more possibilities but I guess carriers didn't want to give loads that otherwise would have gone to their 53' operators. Still, seems like there would have been plenty of times I'd be somewhere and they wouldn't have had a 53' there.

Yes, a little higher cpm for the extra axle but otherwise no real difference between that and a class 8 straight truck I don't think.

Reactions: fastman_1

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
My old 10 wheeler could handle 22,000# with double stack freight capability. I had 18 load bars where I often made a second tier for the load so they wouldn't touch. Had quite a few 16 pallet loads back than.Resizer_16479718539890.jpg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's a very good looking truck. The Argosy rig I envisioned would copy that plus add 4 floor spots and 8 additional pallets along with 12k additional load capacity.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you. It was too much truck to be stretched, but it was sure fun to drive! 400 gallon fuel capacity, 6nz C15 Cat, 44,000# rears, 18,000# front, it was way overkill. Definitely a triple digit truck. My close passed away friend did a stretch job on the east international flat floor cabover ..it was really set up sweet...Resizer_16480021001540.jpg

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Thank you. It was too much truck to be stretched, but it was sure fun to drive! 400 gallon fuel capacity, 6nz C15 Cat, 44,000# rears, 18,000# front, it was way overkill. Definitely a triple digit truck. My close passed away friend did a stretch job on the east international flat floor cabover ..it was really set up sweet...View attachment 21535
I saw a red one like this years ago and it looked sharp.