Care and Feeding of the Owner Operator

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The sale of Panther II got me to thinking about what the perfect company would be from the Owner Operator's point of view. I know that the company needs to make money, so these ideas are ones which I think would help both parties.

1. Give raises to drivers who stick around. I know of very few people who would accept a job that would pay the same after 5 years of service as when you start. Perhaps a raise of one cent per mile after the 2nd year and then .o1 cent per mile increase each year after that.

2. Pay the truck for the miles driven. If you have to promice a company rates based on Ran McNaly that is fine. Pay the driver on the actual miles of the run.

3. Having trouble covering mini runs? Make sure that the next run offered to the truck be at least 250 miles. Don't offer back to back mini runs.

Road Hooligan

4. Teach your dispatchers that the two most important people they deal with are the customer and the driver. Treat both with respect and things will go much more soothly.

5. Have regular discussions with your owner operators. Both the company and the drivers will profit.

Well, those are some of my suggestions to the companies out there. Do any of you have some ideas?

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Just a comment on your item number 2. Pay for actual miles.

If and when you get a company to do that you will have evry trucker in the, atleast U.S. as your best freind. To the best of my knowledge there is not a company out there that actually pays a contracted truck the ACTUAL MILES.

The way they figure miles also varies a bit from copnay to company but none of them are actual that I know of and I am sure there is no big rush for that to happen. It in no way benefits the company.

But I do know what you are saying.

Raceman
OTR O/O

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I've worked both sides of the fence. I've seen one broker pay the driver on PC Miler shortest and bill the customer PC Miler Practical. Then keep half the fuel surcharge and charge their percentage against the driver after that. If someone would follow your formula they would retain drivers and customers. The problem is I don't think you could convince many companies that they could be profitable. I think my company is honest but it's still hard to be profitable in the present business climate.