CAR HAULERS

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Hey crich. Starting a business in April hopefully. Just wondering about requirements for insurance, bonding, permits, dot requirements under 26K.....?

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
add the gvwr of the trailer+ the truck if it = more than 26k you will need a cdl

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
as far as insurance are you gonna haul just vehicles? are they new or salvaged or used or all of the above?
if you can manage to stay under 26k you will still need a med card and keep a log book. are you gonna have your own authority or lease on to someone who provides the loads to you?

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
I have my class A and med card. Really don't want to lease on and let someone else control my paycheck. Plan on hauling any type of car I can. New, used, salvage, auction vehicles etc....I'm also getting lot of negative feedback about Central Dispatch. Thoughts on that site as far as a load board?

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
well as far as central dispatch I had decent success always got paid mostly cod and alot of credit card payments before I even showed up for pick-up.you might also check out readyautotransport.com never used it but have heard from a few its better than central. everthing is negotiable was well worth the fees they charged.pick up alot of drive away work off there also.
you have to build your relationships you will need authority if your gonna do it on your own. and 3 new cars can have a value over 150k so I would go with 200k cargo 1 million public liability. enclosed trailers can make more money per car. it was work to get over $1 per mile per car on an open deck trailer but it can be done. I found more money in freight than cars at least on a small scale like you are talking.but cars are everyplace so I do best when I combine high paying freight out and cars back. the golf carts pay well and you can do them along with freight.but it also depends on the type of trailer you have also. hard to haul freight on a regular car hauling trailer.I use a 2015 pj 36' with hydraulic dove tail cant get 3 cars on it but like I said I concentrate more on freight than autos.you will make some decent contacts off central if you keep your word and alot of times you can get repeat work before they even post it on central.just like in the expedite world there are cheap loads and quality loads. dodge makes a very good truck.you don't need to be bonded just have the proper insurance and know your cargos value.good luck to you just keep your word and build lasting relationships.

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Wow. Great response!! Some quality answers and info. I can't thank you enough. What is driveaway work though? Also, so you have an enclosed trailer and alternate between regular freight and vehicles? Nice! I never thought of that.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Drive away work is just like it sounds. sometimes a dealership or company has trucks or buses that don't normally move on trailers so they hire a company to supply just a driver to drive it from point a to b. motor homes is one example.I did garbage trucks out of AL.new tractors from dealerships.did a few f-550's from the dealership in Cincinnati drove them to AR to have utility boxes put on them. delivered to customers from all over the country.and flew or took a bus home after delivery. as far as my trailer I always think outside the box I would go with the 5500 vs the 3500 or even a single axle medium duty tractor. you can make a van trailer out of a hotshot pretty easy haven't you ever seen a flat bed with a side kit? the panels remove and your back to a flatbed.a hotshot trailer is alot like a step deck and you can move lightweight over dimensional freight on hotshots also.that can get you over $5 per mile

Reactions: Steviegoblue

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for the responses crich. I have a lot of decisions to make. Conservatively, what would you say somebody just using Central Dispatch could make working M-F and staying regional? Any guesses?

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy

that is just driver error. you don't load a trailer with spring assist ramps like that you want to make sure the ramps are completely unfolded before driving on them. couldn't happen with my trailer as the hydraulic dove tail has enough down pressure to provide a stable loading surface. plus it will lift the whole back end of the trailer off the ground makes for simple tire changes.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I really couldn't say how much just using central dispatch on a regional level as I have never tried to do that.but $1500 per week would be piss poor if you keep an open mind and go where the freight takes you.I have had weeks that I haven't made a dime and weeks that bust 7k.central is just a tool and you need a whole suite of tools that you use together to stay busy enough

Reactions: Steviegoblue

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Do you have a sleeper or do you sleep in motels?
Not sure if your asking me or crich this question. I'm planning on have a measured fitted piece of memory foam cut for my crew cab back seat. Buddy has one and said works well, although he doesn't stay out too often. I'm sure when I begin I'll ultimately base it on weather.