can u drive while taking insulin for diabeties ??

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I am a solo driver........ I thought about teaming... but i can not do it with just anyone...... 1 I am a female.and would want another female to drive with.and someone who does NOT smoke.
I have someone I know.. very well.... who wants to do this with me.. but she is working on getting her class B or a CDL.. soo this is going to take a lil time.
PLus............ she is a diebetic. ( hope this is spelled right.) ha..... takes insulin.... she is not a bad dietbetic.. her doc told her if she loses around 30 lbs at least... she can maybe get weaned off the insulin and just take oral meds.
then we heard she can still drive while taking this.. any views on this ???

MDB1

Expert Expediter
RE: can u drive while taking insulin for diabeties

FMCSA recently changed the rules to allow waivers for individuals who can demonstrate their diabetes is under control by the use of insulin injections. You can get the complete information at their web site:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/medical/exemptions.htm

The previous rules required three years of driving experience in order to get a waiver but you couldn't drive without a waiver so how could you get three years experience? HA-- a BIG catch 22.

You might also contact OOIDA since they have been following this issue very closely in their daily Landline Now reports on XM radio.