Can a Cargo Van Team make a living?

bluefish55

Active Expediter
Bluefish55 I have seen multiple posts about panther in a negative post. Have you ever driven for panther? I have been for 6 months and yes at times I am fed up with them but they do treat you right and one of the best most fair pay scales IMHO.

2 week hold? That has to be the owner. Yes I had a 3 week hold but I am paid every week now.

The drivers you described had no credentials other than knowing how to operate a sprinter so why would they be paid same as a hazmat,Canada approved and dod cleared driver?
I think Panther is a very good company. I never said you should get the same pay without hazmat or a passport for a cargo van. The problem comes, as a pre-approved driver for cargo vans, when you go through the process with all the different owners, some of whom can not speak english that lie to you about what they are getting paid and blow smoke at you to get meat in the seat. It's not about Panther the company. I think it is best to be an owner operator of your own van.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think Panther is a very good company. I never said you should get the same pay without hazmat or a passport for a cargo van. The problem comes, as a pre-approved driver for cargo vans, when you go through the process with all the different owners, some of whom can not speak english that lie to you about what they are getting paid and blow smoke at you to get meat in the seat. It's not about Panther the company. I think it is best to be an owner operator of your own van.

Bingo.....Buy your own...best way to go...dive in the deep end and swim for your life.....what may kill you will make you stronger if you survive....

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't start as a fleet driver in a van unless you have some cash saved up for a slow start. You never know how quickly a fleet owner will pay you. We had to bail out a couple in a van week before last because they were cold and hungry with no $$$ and no fuel to run the engine for heat. The temp was in the 20's. In my opinion, (take it for what its worth) I would never subject my wife to that kind of fear. The fleet owner was paying the team okay but sometimes he was a little slow and at 40% they could not make enough to get on top of the game. You would be better off if each of you worked a couple of temp jobs and saved up enough to but a used van. Maybe $7000-9000 range and then start. We have done okay and our goal is to save at least $2000 each and every month. The first six months have been okay, but. So far the last 6 weeks we have not been able to do this even as van owners. If you don't have enough cash to get yourselves home if things don't work out, don't start. It can be fun out here, but it could get real scary if you are broke.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Don't start as a fleet driver in a van unless you have some cash saved up for a slow start. You never know how quickly a fleet owner will pay you. We had to bail out a couple in a van week before last because they were cold and hungry with no $$$ and no fuel to run the engine for heat. The temp was in the 20's. In my opinion, (take it for what its worth) I would never subject my wife to that kind of fear. The fleet owner was paying the team okay but sometimes he was a little slow and at 40% they could not make enough to get on top of the game. You would be better off if each of you worked a couple of temp jobs and saved up enough to but a used van. Maybe $7000-9000 range and then start. We have done okay and our goal is to save at least $2000 each and every month. The first six months have been okay, but. So far the last 6 weeks we have not been able to do this even as van owners. If you don't have enough cash to get yourselves home if things don't work out, don't start. It can be fun out here, but it could get real scary if you are broke.

This is worth copying and repeating. Listen up newbies!

Not having any money is bad (understandable these days, but still bad). Being 1,000 miles from home in 20 degree weather with no money is worse.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

See bolded above. I agree, it's scary enough when you're broke and things go wrong and you're responsible only for yourself. I've thought about what it might be like to have a wife along (I'm divorced, but lately one of the women at the church I attend has shown interest in me) when things go wrong, and it's not something that fills me with joy. Even if I was as rich as Bill Gates, it's no fun to be broke down somewhere and not sure when-- or if-- your vehicle will be road-worthy again.

Second point: Vans aren't overly large. Even the really big Sprinters can feel a bit cramped when you and your wife have been on the road for a while. How much do you REALLY like each other?

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Could someone tell me why or how anyone would risk being broke and cold while out here to work? I don't understand how if paid only 40 percent that they couldn't fuel up to keep warm at least, the owner woulda been paying fuel right? Is it this slow for some that they are starving? Too many vans? No loads? What is really causing this type of story to even happen or anyone talk about other than some maybe mishandling their money which is my obvious first thought. Even if my van broke down I could count on the owner to put my cold rear in a hotel a day or so until it was fixed but what you all mention here is some tough times for people out trying to earn a living. Scary thought.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Could someone tell me why or how anyone would risk being broke and cold while out here to work? I don't understand how if paid only 40 percent that they couldn't fuel up to keep warm at least, the owner woulda been paying fuel right? Is it this slow for some that they are starving? Too many vans? No loads? What is really causing this type of story to even happen or anyone talk about other than some maybe mishandling their money which is my obvious first thought. Even if my van broke down I could count on the owner to put my cold rear in a hotel a day or so until it was fixed but what you all mention here is some tough times for people out trying to earn a living. Scary thought.

It is scary. I get $1.05 a loaded mile, and I own my van. I can't imagine fleet owners of vans making a whole lot of money, and some of the per-mile prices I've been seeing here are positively poverty-row stuff. Now imagine that you're getting only 40 percent of that. It doesn't take an active imagination to figure you could get into trouble pretty quick that way, even without any breakdowns.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Newtothis:

You would be surprised how many people show up to orientation and they don't even have the money for the drug test or their 1st tank of gas....This business is looked at from the outside as a way to make quick easy cash, and those that see it that way are usually out of work or don't have any kind of cash to begin with.

The other thing is as you pointed out, poor management of their money....Also, don't think for a minute that all owners pay on time, or even pay the fuel bill on time...i know drivers whoes fuel card didn't work because the owner didn't pay the bill for 3 months....Poor owners are also part of this business...

to ru a van and make decent money, you really need to be an owner..yes you can make money as a driver for an owner, but you will not make a living if you have support and or pay for anything other then yourself while on the road....and at times, that can be a problem too...

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
So basically there are some drivers out one beat away from being a homeless person... Wow. Good wake up call to many including myself to always be prepared for anything!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
newtothis wrote:

So basically there are some drivers out one beat away from being a homeless person... Wow. Good wake up call to many including myself to always be prepared for anything!

Yeap, exactly..and this does not just go for drivers...there are owners that are a transmission going bad away from being out of business...because they have no money in the bank to carry them through...

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

Once in a while, you'll see notes left inside the building or be approached by drivers looking for a buyer for their motor oil or other equipment because they're broke and jusrneed some cash. Happens to both big truck drivers and expeditors.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

Your assuming too much. Your assuming that the owner can and will pay for the hotel room. Your assuming that the owner can and will allow you buy fuel. This does not mean that the owner is a bad person. He may have just gotten in over his head and absolutely have no way of making those things happen. There is always an end to the rope somewhere and when you find it, your there... no matter what the situation is.

That is why we are telling the newbies to be prepared to take care of themselves. DO NOT make the assumption that anything will be taken care of for you.

This is not something that happens to every driver out here. I have never been in the situation we are describing, but some people have been. I'll make no assumptions as to mismanagement of funds. I have no idea what their situation is or was. What I do know is that when you get into this kind of work, YOU are the only person you can rely on.

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Well I guess same rules apply here as in any type of business during this type of economy. "When the bottom drops out the buck stops here." got it guys! Look at how many K-marts and Sears being shut down, doubt all those who bought their uniform and black pants were prepared for layoffs either.
Just making sure ya wernt trying to scare us new people away on purpose.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
newtothis wrote:

Yeap, exactly..and this does not just go for drivers...there are owners that are a transmission going bad away from being out of business...because they have no money in the bank to carry them through...

We had a sensor go out on our van. We placed it in the shop over the weekend and got a room and rental car to get our stuff from the van to the hotel. Lucky for us the van was still barely under warranty and the repairs were covered. They even paid one day of the rental car. It still cost us 3 nights in the hotel and 2 more days on the car. For us that was around $350. We could have gone cheaper but we don't. If we had been broke to start with, this would have been a problem. We have been blessed and keep plenty of cash to fall back on. I know not everyone has credit cards and times are tough. But move into a nice travel trailer on a rented lot for $300 a month and wait tables at Denny's. I used to make $70-$100 a night in tips and still had my paycheck to fall back on. You always have some cash in you pocket and in a few months you can pay cash for your van and live like a sardine in a metal box. That travel trailer will feel like a mansion then. Whats Dave Ramsey say "live like no one else so you can live in a small metal box on wheels"

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
We had a sensor go out on our van. We placed it in the shop over the weekend and got a room and rental car to get our stuff from the van to the hotel. Lucky for us the van was still barely under warranty and the repairs were covered. They even paid one day of the rental car. It still cost us 3 nights in the hotel and 2 more days on the car. For us that was around $350. We could have gone cheaper but we don't. If we had been broke to start with, this would have been a problem. We have been blessed and keep plenty of cash to fall back on. I know not everyone has credit cards and times are tough. But move into a nice travel trailer on a rented lot for $300 a month and wait tables at Denny's. I used to make $70-$100 a night in tips and still had my paycheck to fall back on. You always have some cash in you pocket and in a few months you can pay cash for your van and live like a sardine in a metal box. That travel trailer will feel like a mansion then. Whats Dave Ramsey say "live like no one else so you can live in a small metal box on wheels"

back when I ran for panther the biggest home I owned was my van. I moved in to a PO Box in SD and used a friends address in SD has my home address.

Why?

my "home" cost me 60 dollars a year and SD has no income tax. This allowed for a nice "buffer" in the checking account. I never really wanted to go "home" since home was a 6X6X12 box at the post office. If I wanted down time I'd crash with friends or family.

I still live on the cheap. My home, while not a travel trailer, it does have wheels under it :) (mobile home) lot rent around here is almost criminal though.

tjennings

Active Expediter
We are new to the business and have a cargo van... Where do you find loads without having to pay a broker or join and pay for using the load board?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
We are new to the business and have a cargo van... Where do you find loads without having to pay a broker or join and pay for using the load board?

VERY few things in life are free.

You are new to this business and have your cart well ahead of your horse. I would suggest leasing to a carrier and let them find loads for you until you learn the ropes a little better. Freight is tough to come by right now even for the heavy hitters. I doubt that your going to just show up, not even knowing where to find a broker or a load board... in the most over-saturated segment of the industry (cargo van)... and find much. IMO

Not trying to be hateful. Just trying to get your attention. It ain't quite that simple!