cab-overs?

BanditMan

Expert Expediter
To our experienced moderators: I have looked at hundreds of photos of expediter trucks and read about hundreds more. Why is everyone running conventional long hood trucks? Seems that with the length limitations on straight trucks, more people would be looking to use that wasted vertical space over the engine for the front seats, and leave all of the space behind the engine for the sacred home-away-from-home sleeper and the real money-maker, the cargo box.
With a 24 foot box and a 4 foot cab, there would be 12 feet left in the middle for the condo. I know that the engine noise and ride quality are two factors, are there any others?

G

Your last sentence said it all. Let's face it, of all the trucks on the road, how mamy are cab-over? Durn few, 'cause drivers don't like getting their butts pounded all day. Back in the 90's there were a lot of C/O's used in expediting, because there was little else available, now there's plenty of "hoods" available. Also you have an extra margin of safety in a collision. I recently "bagged" a deer with our 4700 with virtually no damage.

BanditMan

Expert Expediter
'nuff said on c/o's - now for some really out-of-the-box thinking.
What about a rear pusher diesel set-up, aka bus/motorhome conversion.
Some expediter's seem to be nothing but RV's with a box. Think about it. A coach would be the epitome of comfort for those who spend 90%
or more of their life on the road.
-the floor level is probaly already close to dock height
-the interior of the shell is 8 feet wide and 8 feet high (or larger)
-add a roll-up door in the rear
-close up the windows in the last 24 feet of each side
- reinforce the floor to carry the load & install e-track
-install a bulkhead to separate business from pleasure
-use the entire 16 feet foward of the divider for rv space
(a full 8' x 16')
-for more living space, add a slide-out on one or both sides
-holding tanks, generators, inverters, & everything else goes in the
underfloor luggage compartments (aka "basement")
-full amenities including shower, toilet, range, microwave, large
refrigerator, entertainment center, closets, dinnette, etc.
-pilot & co-pilot ride in style up front, away from engine noise
-would be more readily accepted in campgrounds and rv parks during layovers than a commercial truck
-with a detachable ramp, could double as a "toy hauler" for the o/o's
when out of service (small car, 4 wheeler, motorcycles, snowmobiles)
-remember the line from the movie "Build it and they will come"??

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
Bandit,me and a buddy was thinking on this a year ago I think it will work,also we were thinking of stretching a cargo van. Hawk

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
Back to the C/O other then the ride this is the way to go if you want to maxiunize your space with a cab over you can run a 26 foot box with no problem. Hawk

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The way I look at it is,If I was driving on a Highway in bad weather and a JB or Swift or Schenider driver with 2 weeks of otr experience came sliding across the median heading right into me,would I want to be in a Cab Over so I could meet the other driver rapidly or would I want to be in a conventional and have a engine plus frame take the brunt of the impact..

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A fellow EO'er, Mikecop, has a stretched ex-JB Hunt farmall cabover w/28 foot box. I guess anyone could e-mail him to find out the truth, but from what I have gathered from him it's not too bad. I don't think I would want one myself, but to each his own.
-Weave-

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The engine and radiator on the rear of coach pushers are well above dock height, which would make this idea non-feasible. There has been something custom built and in use on the west coast based on a coach bus for passengers and freight, but like I said it was custom built and I believe cost close to half a million bucks like GEO's Western Star! (Just kidding GEO!)
:7

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This reply is a little off the subject, but if anyone or if you Geo can post a picture of this now famous WS C unit I would love to see it.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yep, off the subject, but, not too far. Back to the subject, I am
going to add to my fleet in early ot three. It will be a flat floor
freightliner c/o with a 30 ft curtainside. I will be able to have a large double bunk camper, and still keep to the 40 foot requirement that most states have. This will alow me to hook some flatbed as well as van freight. The 18 skid spots should alow me to hook some of the bulky loads that are too big for the 22-24 ft trucks. Had considered a refer but, dismissed that idea because of
the additional weight. And, most importantly, I have recently experimented with some freight to the grocery warehouses. I can
assure you at those places, you're appointment does not mean anything
to anybody but you.

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
I worked for the old company P.I.E. and they had a few city cab (great in towns even without power steering)Freightshaker cab overs. When I would get a 35 stop trailer load to pull I felt like I had to climb mount Everest by week end. I had alot of problems with sore sholders and elbo joints by the time I had been there long enough to rate a conventional cab.
Also think about fuel mileage.... If a sleek Beechcraft Bonanza has the same total frontal area as a piece of plywood (4x8) then think of what that 12x9 piece of cab over plywood uses in power and fuel to push 55 mph!
If you realy want one then look into one of the " California Double" rigs...most are curtin side and have a 28ft. trailer.
Oh and one more cosideration about C/Os is they are hard to work on in comparison.

Life is what happens to you while your busy makeing other plans.

BanditMan

Expert Expediter
Actually, the CO inquiry was serious, the rear pusher idea was more along the "what if" or "why not" lines. Seems like everytime an idea is dismissed for reasons of practicality, someone else ends up making it work (and making money off of it).

Thanks for the lively responses. Seems like I saw something about a new type of expediting truck being on display at the show in March. Anybody got any idea what might be in store for those lucky enough to attend? (which I hope to be)

Brandy

Expert Expediter
It would be real hard to make a expediter truck be a pusher. For one thing a pusher RV or Bus dosen't have a strong chassis like a truck. A bus or RV uses both the chassis and the body for strength. have you ever noticed how a FL70 twists and bends when a heavy forklift enters the box? Now imagine how bad all that movement would be if that truck was a pusher. Plus a pusher doesn't use the same engine as a class 7 truck, those trannies weren't made to haul all that weight around and the mileage would kill it quick. Maintenance on a set up like that would be a bit-h and put drivers out of work the first time in the shop

Sean