C Unit info

mouse549

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm trying to find info on C units. Weights? Does the driver need a CDL? Do you have to stop at weigh stations? Can you park on residential streets? Plates, permits, Fuel tax?
And any other info you can think of. Or where I can find this info.
Thanx
Mouse:)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I guess I'll start this show;-)
A C unit can be anything from a class 8 tractor with a small box to a large (Freightliner Sprinter) van.
There is no solid classification- it varies from carrier to carrier.
GVW's, payloads, box sizes, etc vary drastically.
I run at C&M Transport where there is no "C" classification- it's simply straight truck (D) or van (B). Cubes are classed as trucks.
Things I do know for sure-]
Commercial vehicle- Interstate vehicle over 9999 GVWR.
CDL required on vehicles over 25,999 GVWR. Did you ever wonder why Ryder's and U-Hauls are never monster straights? That's why.
CDL required on ANY vehicle carrying classed hazmat. (hence CDL C for vans, required at big co.'s like FedEx, Tristate, etc. and even at smaller ones for insurance reasons.)
Parking on residential streets is up to the municipality- you have to follow the street signs. I have pennied up many a parking ticket in my D unit days! (ususally under $15.00.)
Maybe the rest of the clan can help fill in some C unit details??
-Weave-

G

Like Weave said, it will vary with the company you're leased to. The smaller company we're leased to will offer us loads up to maximum, which for our "C" is just shy of 10,000 lbs and/or 8 standard skids flat. The majority of the loads are smaller, though. We have only lost a few that were too big or too heavy..

The bigger companies FedEx will pidgeon hole trucks by size, a "C" is 14 feet and 5,000 lbs and anything heaver goes to a "D" or "E", but they WILL offer you lots of "A" and "B" freight.

We park in the back yard and the neighbors look the other way, we're lucky to have a back alley for access.

Yes, you do have to hit the chicken coops (scales) in every state we know of. As for license, here in Michigan you can either have a GVW plate or an IRP. We plated IRP, 'cause that got us out of paying sales tax. We have an IFTA permit and have to file fuel tax quarterly.