C Truck Good or Bad

G

Looking foward to start back up next year and I was wondering if any C drivers out there had info about the plus's and minus's of C vs. D Units.We (my wife & I) currently hold class c cdl's. We seem to favor C units for a happy medium between B & D, B units are low in comfort and D units seem to be a little large and require relicense. We are retired Military and desire to earn a decent income. We are open and objective to your comments from all drivers.

Thankyou

G

Hello folks,
If u r talkin about a team operation I too favor a C unit. My wife and I drive one for Con-Way NOW. There are the Advantages to the C over a D, as there are no reporting reqs on a C if it's not over the 26,001 gvwr. plus with CWNO If u can Scale a D-load u get paid for a D-load unlike most of the others. We haul B(.98per),C(1.24per) and D(1.36per). Sadly tho we have to sell our C and go to a B. Wife will not be able to go out w/me on a regular basis.

G

think c units may be going the way of B's - ELIMINATED! Just my two cents.

THE X

G

Think Big! I know that you don't want to upgrade your license but
it would be very profitable to do so. Over the past several years
the trend in the expedite business has been toward larger and heavier loads. It is true that about half of the D trucks may be
carrying C loads. However,when freight is not so plentiful as it
is in the 3rd and 4th quarter of the year, just imagine how many
more days of sitting ther will be for the C unit that can't carry the 8 to 13 thousand pound loads. I believe that the next generation of expedite trucks will require more "Super D" trucks.
i.e. trucks that are tandem rear with more refer units that have
the capacity to carry 20,000 pounds. Our industry is changing;
talk to the o/o WHO RUN THE D units to find out the truth. Most
people in a C unit don't want to admit that they made a $60,000
mistake when for just a bit more they could make so much more.
Just my thoughts and observations. Ed Housworth, Housworth Trucking

G

Thanks for the advice Mike, I hope everything goes well for you folks and if your interested in selling please contact us [email protected]. God Bless You

G

Thanks for your input ED. What do you think about a B unit with Con Way is worth for us? God Bless You.

G

Hey X what's happenin'? I been wheeling a C unit for 3
years now and it's been busy for me. I too haul B/C/D loads and grab money from all three. Built me a comfortable sleeper, not real fancy, but serves the purpose. Big sleepers are for drivers who sit around alot. I don't. $1.20/mile and steady work.
Sneakers

G

Yo Sneaker,

I was not trying to say C unit are history..yet. I've just noticed that over the years that there are less and less of that size. I think Ed H. is right - everything is going in larger trucks.

This should sound an alarm....eventually all freight carried will have 1 price. My 2 cents.

THE X

G

I run a "B" unit with Con-Way Now. Perhaps our outfit is a little different 'cuz we haul a lot of emergency load rather than scheduled movements like most automotive runs. I've been working on putting together a straight truck for next spring, and when i ask our contractors with the "C" and "D" units how often they are fully loaded they all say the same thing..maybe four or five times a year. The rest of the time they run around with four to eight skids. Some companies must be different but this seems to be the way things run here at Con-Way Now.

G

Thanks for your input Krooser. Please send more info on your opinion about B Units with Roberts or Con-Way also which van you prefer. God Bless You

G

hey, there is only one reason to buy a c unit in my opion, that is to put a larger sleeper on it and still not be over length. we might not sit a whole lot but when u do it is nice to be comfortable, especially when u are running teams. the money savings on a typicle c unit with a 72" sleeper over a d with a 72" sleeper is only about $5,000. If u have a c unit u will carry a lot more b loads which don't pay near as well as a c.

G

I beg to differ. Big sleepers are for the people who have decided that it's much more pleasant to be on the road if you have the comforts of home with you. I can cook a stew in my crock pot while going down the road then sit down at my table to eat, clean up with the sink. It makes a big difference in our attitude. But, to each his own I guess. If you're happy in your truck, then it's just right. Happy Turkey Day! Chris

G

i run a c truck w/ tri-state , most of your companys want you to have air brakes on your truck , so you'll need a class b cdl
i like my c unit (25,500gvw)i can haul 9250lbs mostly d rates and dont have to pay fuel taxes , good luck with your choice

G

Folks we all know the writing is on the wall.C trucks are going away.The major expediting companys want D units period.I run a D but if I did not I would run a B unit as most C trucks haul B freight,so why put up with the expense and DOT rules that a C would require when you can have a B unit.

G

Thanks Rich. I believe you may be right on the money, especially for our situation. We have a retirement income so we are not totally dependent on expedite income. God Bless You.