C drive, D drive

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Sony Vaio desktop computer. Recently I have been down loading music from cd's and then burning new cd's. I received a message stating that my memory was getting dangerously low. I take a ginko biloba capsule twice a day, at least when I remember to. Anyway I did the disk clean up as recommended and found the C drive nearly full and the D drive nearly empty. The D drive also has more of those gigabite things than the C drive. My question is how do I get to the land-o-plenty on the D drive. Why does all my music end up filling the C drive and not spilling over to the empty D drive. The only thing on the D drive is something called "office set up files".

Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
DO you have two harddrives on your laptop? If not C: drive is you main hard drive and D drive is usually any other drives such as a CD Rom or such. How big is your hard drive(s)? You may need a bigger hard drive or another thing i highly reccomend is to get an external hard drive to store your stuff on. i've been hearing alot of hard drives crashing and if it does you lose everything. Its good to back things up to make sure.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Sounds like you have one hard drive with a partition. Which is common. You can move your music to the D drive through Windows Explorer. You can get to Windows Explorer by hitting the little "Windows" button on the lower left of your keyboard while hitting E at the same time. If you dont have the windows button hit the Start button, then hit Programs, then go up to the Accessory folder and it should be in there. It may also be in the first folder after you hit programs.

When doing knew music, the program your using will probably automatically put the files in a folder (on the C drive) that the program created when you installed the program. Depending on the program...it may ask you to accept a default file location which usually also allows you to change the location the new files will end up.

If that is as clear as mud or you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Jay

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you Jayman! You are a gentleman and a geek. I'm in gigabyte heaven. Just moving my music to the D drive freed up 3 GB's. I'm on a mission now. Look out!

Thanks again,

Moot